PDA

View Full Version : Anyone home made a double post banjo and tool rest?

waveink
12th August 2015, 04:59 PM
I have an old Vicmarc VL200 and need to turn a volume of chair legs at about 620mm each. I only have the 200mm tool rest that came with the lathe and one banjo and don't fancy moving it up and down the length of every leg over 24 legs. Has anyone made a double banjo and long tool rest combo for their lathes or know of someone (or a video of someone) who has? If so could you share a pic or a rough description how it was done?

I am pretty handy making jigs, and know how I would do it in timber, but I'm unsure of the forces involved and how strong I need to make this thing. Is a timber version going to be OK, or do I need to find myself a metalworker for the job?

thanks

pete

artful bodger
12th August 2015, 06:40 PM
Hi Pete
Yes I have done exactly that on both my lathes. My smaller woodfast lathe originally came with an out board turning set up that had its own banjo identical to the other (between centres) banjo. So all I needed to do was weld up a suitably sturdy bit of steel to 2 x 90degree posts.
See picture 1. Tool rest is 750mm long.
On my big lathe I only had one banjo so I made up a pattern and got another one cast up at a foundry in town followed up with a bit of simple machining at a local engineers and presto!, 2 banjo's. Same deal for the tool rest on this lathe however this longer rest is a metre long. Picture shows from front to back original banjo, banjo pattern, and second banjo.
356082 Both are "must have" items if you are going to be turning many long things.
Cheers

Mobyturns
12th August 2015, 09:20 PM
Woodfast sell a two post 600mm long tool rest http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8

Vicmarc also have two post long tool rests http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=647

600mm (Two Posts) Part No. V01177
1000mm (Two Posts) Part No. V01168

chuck1
13th August 2015, 01:20 PM
I get the toolrest made by my tame metal worker, have always bought the toolrest stock/ banjos.
With the toolrest I use 50 by 10mm flat bar and bright bar for the posts as its pre polished.
$30. Of steel made me about 3 toolrests
I like the flat bar on an angle to the posts. That's what I like.
position of the post no more than 200 inform the ends as it will cause the tool to chatter.

Rod Gilbert
13th August 2015, 07:22 PM
Totally agree with Chuck1. Bright bar posts and 50x10 flat bar set on angle.
Regards Rod.

chuck1
14th August 2015, 07:32 AM
Also make sure you get a good welder as the first guy that made me a double toolrest got one post a few degrees out of square and it causes out bursts of swearing every time I put into banjo
the lengths of tool rest I have ant 1 metre, 600, 550, all have 2 posts, then with off cuts
400,309,299 ,100 80 and right-hand curve all single posts. Plus a few special one.
you don't have to go silly asI have
.and turn a variety of items posts and balusters for work with craft turning at home