PDA

View Full Version : Painted Internal Brick Walls

Aggie
27th July 2005, 10:29 PM
Hi, we have an old house and it has painted brick walls inside! Can anyone suggest what we do. It will be too messy getting a plasterer in. We were going to try and paint with a texture type paint, but that won't fill the gaps in very much. Then there is Plaster Board, but my husband doesn't seem keen on the idea? Please help!

Gumby
27th July 2005, 10:32 PM
plaster board, sorry it's the only way

bitingmidge
27th July 2005, 11:11 PM
plaster board, sorry it's the only way

Plasterboard, sorry.

It's the only way.

Unless you want to sandblast the bricks and enjoy the natural colour for a while.

P

:D

Gumby
27th July 2005, 11:19 PM
Plasterboard, sorry.

It's the only way.

Unless you want to sandblast the bricks and enjoy the natural colour for a while.

P

:D

Is there an echo in here ??? :D :D :D

vGolfer
28th July 2005, 07:00 PM
How thick would the battens on the wall need to be in order to nail the plasterboard to? We've got exposed brick walls in the back room and kitchen and we were just thinking of bagging them, but plasterboard may be an option as well.

Ian007
28th July 2005, 08:07 PM
solid plaster will not stick to a painted wall

likewise you cannot direct stick gyprock to painted brick so you have to use battens 15 - 20mm

Cheers Ian :)

bitingmidge
28th July 2005, 08:56 PM
you cannot direct stick gyprock to painted brick
Unless you shoot/nail/screw into the brickwork as well.

P

;)

Ian007
28th July 2005, 08:59 PM
but why would you?

ozwinner
28th July 2005, 09:05 PM

P

;)
Hmmm my fave, as it makes lots of noise, and make ya feel all sort of macho.
Specially if you use an over charge, and it goes right through the wall.

Al :D

bitingmidge
28th July 2005, 09:52 PM
but why would you?

See Ozzo's post above :D !

It also gives the renovators 20 years from now a chance to bring it all back to what it was like before the brickwork was tastelessy covered up.

Can you imagine some yuppie kids in 2025 eagerly peeling off the dead plasterboard, and scraping the paint back to discover the original 70's wire-cut bricks underneath all that?? They'll think they've won Tattslotto!!

Cheers,

P :D

Ian007
28th July 2005, 10:20 PM

P

;)

I want to see you Shoot thru gyprock into brick

or even nail or screw straight thru gyprock in to brick.

this i just gotta see :eek:

I think I would Pee myself laughing :o

Ian

Ps I think ive got how to do it,
its fire rated gyprock 26mm thick double layered right :p

echnidna
28th July 2005, 11:04 PM
Glue the plasterboard to the bricks.
Its only glued to studs in timber frames and not nailed.
Just take a few sections of paint off the wall back to bare brick with a wire brush in a drill.

dallas
1st August 2005, 09:28 AM
ya, seeing as though it's not a wet area, from memory you can just use adhesive to glue the p/board to the walls and finish them off with paint. (also if you go glue option, you can't tile the walls)

i'm currently doing my laundry with p/board before tiling it to get a smooth tiling surface, and isn't that hard at all... (but i've installed battons up first)..

have you considered giving the walls a bagging type finish? might be something different / nice?

D

bitingmidge
1st August 2005, 09:37 AM
I want to see you Shoot thru gyprock into brick
or even nail or screw straight thru gyprock in to brick.

Note at no stage did I say I would do this!! I DID say YOU!
;)

All of the above (OK shooting is a bit extreme) are quite easy to do if you nail or screw straight into the beds or perps, remember you are only holding the stuff in place till the glue goes off.

And yes as pointed out above, scratch the paint off before dolloping the glue on, or if it won't come off that's good!

Cheers,

P

ctd
10th August 2005, 11:36 AM
another option is a 'readiwall', which is just a masonite sheet. 5.5mm thick, you can just glue to the wall or nail etc. Thinking of it myself; although I havent quite figured out what you do with the joins. Probably put in no gaps or something.

It is a bit more expensive that gyprocking tho. The benefit are no stuffing around with plastering and take up less room (albeit not much - 5.5mm vs say a 10mm gyprock sheet). I also suspect its a bit easier to work with, if you have no gyprock experience. On the other hand, its a wood product and so looks different to gyprock.

see here

http://www.australianhardboards.com.au/html/readiwall.htm

Bear
10th August 2005, 01:43 PM
was at a home show the other day and they had a new product out that was a render look paint. Apparantly it can go over any surface. It fills in gaps etc. Sorry can't remember what it is called. it was in hume & iser hardware so maybe at bunnings

nt900
10th August 2005, 09:28 PM
Question to echidna I think: if plasterboarding to the wall is what Aggie and co. was going to, how would they make sure it stays in place while the stud adhesive cures? This take up to 24 hours to cure. Assuming we are not going down the shooting/screwing to battens route.

Harry72
11th August 2005, 03:33 AM
Just stick the gyp up with constuction adhesive, if you have trouble getting the paint off the brick work so will the adhesive... it bonds better to paint than masonary.
Put a 50 cent piece size blob of adhesive every 150-200mm push gyp against wall pull back off and hold it away from the wall for 5 min, then push back onto the wall for a instant bond strong enough to hold it in place.

nt900
11th August 2005, 09:27 PM
Ahhh. I was trying to work out what holds it to the wall while it cures. I expected to need bracing. But the stick, remove, push back method using construction adhesive makes sense. I assume this method increases the tackiness and the plasterboard won't pop off.

Harry72
12th August 2005, 02:16 AM
Yep all else fails read instructions!
Works good on wall sheets, I wouldnt attempt a ceiling though...
After about a 1/2hr-1hr give the gyp another push to make sure its against the wall fully. Occasionaly a few bits of wood at a 45° will help with troublesome sheets, make these up before you start.
I've done this in my house and you cant get the gyp off without the use of a jackhammer with scraper attachment.(much to the astonishment of my master builder bro in law)
If your wall is very uneven this method will not work(+/-20mm), so on high spots use the construction adhesive and in the low spots use generous blobs of stud adhesive(has better gap fill ability)and if the low spots are over a large area, fill area with gyp off-cuts/construction adhesive(dont create high spots!).

nt900
12th August 2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks Harry. I don't have an immediate need to do this, but will file the technique away for further reference.

I must say though I do enjoy hanging plasterboard. But I never have to do a whole house.

hotboost
13th August 2005, 04:39 PM
I'd agree strip the paint off the wallin sections with a wire wheel on a grinder .

Then hit it with fulaprene 303 , fullers product . whach the sheets against it and probably brace the sheets to the floor to keep them straight and level.

job done