PDA

View Full Version : Watching paint dry.

artful bodger
20th August 2015, 03:35 PM
Must say that I find repetitive jobs about as boring as it can get, a bit like watching paint dry.
This job is a case in point. 29 x 60mm handles and 10 x 90mm handles in Tas Oak.
I guess if there is any challenge in such a job it is in trying to keep a high standard in each piece...and not falling asleep at the lathe.

dai sensei
20th August 2015, 08:23 PM
Ah production work :sleep6:, but they look ok from here :cool:

Rod Gilbert
20th August 2015, 08:24 PM
Hi artful bodger,
You're right that is where the skill is getting the same profile on number 100 as on number 1. Having made sets of many chairs with every component turned you get used to the monotony and you have to get beyond that to keep the quality up to a standard it can be a real talent keep up the good work.(I am sure any multiple copy turner will agree.)
Regards Rod.

BamBam53
20th August 2015, 09:08 PM
They look pretty good to me. I would have to make fifty to get twenty nine the same.

As for watching paint dry, it is very under rated. I made a living out of watching paint dry for twenty two years.

Michael

chuck1
20th August 2015, 09:27 PM
Great job. I've got some comming up and I'm pulling my hair out with part of it. Segmented producing turning.
Once you work out a system and get the shuffle going its ok and even better when you get to the last one!

rwbuild
20th August 2015, 09:29 PM
Don't knock a good painter, they can make the worst chippy/plasterer look good, I did 15 years as a building supervisor and a painter can make or brake a job.

Paul39
21st August 2015, 01:30 AM
Artful,

I admire your patience and workmanship.

I don't have it in me to do production work. I'm retired and don't have to depend on turning for income.

Hats off to all production turners making a living at it.

Gabriel
21st August 2015, 07:49 AM
I would look at it this way -
How many jobs out there are regularly that monotonous?
If you were a factory worker on an assembly line or working or a place like maccas or subway, every day would seem like this and the out of the ordinary would be to do something different/artistic...

Or make a game of it, see how many you can turn in the first hour.... then try to beat it in the second!!

Either way, great job, and it's turners such as yourself that makes folks such as myself strive to improve our own (lack) of skills!!

Cheers

Gab

artful bodger
21st August 2015, 11:57 AM
I would look at it this way -
How many jobs out there are regularly that monotonous?
If you were a factory worker on an assembly line or working or a place like maccas or subway, every day would seem like this and the out of the ordinary would be to do something different/artistic...

Or make a game of it, see how many you can turn in the first hour.... then try to beat it in the second!!

Cheers

Gab

Yes, I suppose you are right about some other jobs. Don't want to sound like a whinger. It's just that I've done thousands of these handles and the only reason I do them is for the money, which is actually a really good rate.

Mobyturns
22nd August 2015, 10:43 AM
Yes, I suppose you are right about some other jobs. Don't want to sound like a whinger. It's just that I've done thousands of these handles and the only reason I do them is for the money, which is actually a really good rate.

I can't think of a better reason to do them. Just think of it as someone is paying you to practice & perfect your skills :D not that you need the practice by the quality of the handles. :rolleyes: