PDA

View Full Version : New Turnings Marri and Jarrah Burl

Willy Nelson
24th August 2015, 12:43 AM
Good Evening ladies and Gentlemen

I have just returned to the big lathe and had some good sessions on it and really enjoying it again. The only down side is the cold nights. But then again, if you are cold in your workshop, you are not working hard enough :D

Anyhoo
Please find enclosed a couple of recent turnings
Firstly half a platter. This is Jarrah Burl, what's left of it anyway. This is not your typical Jarrah Burl and a couple of the old fellows I know in WA refer to it as Blood Burl. It is usually quite soft, not distinct pattern or structure and is very prone to exploding whilst on the lathe

It is aproximately 300 across and like all my turnings, finished with 10 coats of Danish oil and hand rubbed
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
24th August 2015, 12:48 AM
First, an unknown burl, which I have labelled a Desert Burl (sometimes referred to Goldfields Burl). This description is not deceptive, it is a commonly used description of Burls from WA which cannot be readily identified. :rolleyes: I reckon the burl itself is stunning :)

Continuing on is a Jarrah Burl Platter and a Marri Platter. I like the form of the Jarrah Burl Platter, quite pleasing to me

Oh yeah, comments and critique welcome :D
Cheers
Willy
jarrahland

dai sensei
24th August 2015, 11:17 AM
Not surprised that "blood burl" is prone to failing given its structure and softer nature :rolleyes:. Plenty of strapping needed whilst turning that one.

The colours in the Goldfields burl is gorgeous. The Jarrah looks beautiful but can't really tell the shape from the photo, need profile/top/bottom/angled shots to really see.

I must admit I'm not a fan of Marri, so many times it just turns out boring and plain, but all good practice :U

cava
24th August 2015, 04:37 PM
The Goldfields Burl would be my pick. :2tsup:

smiife
24th August 2015, 08:37 PM
Good Evening ladies and Gentlemen

I have just returned to the big lathe and had some good sessions on it and really enjoying it again. The only down side is the cold nights. But then again, if you are cold in your workshop, you are not working hard enough :D

Anyhoo
Please find enclosed a couple of recent turnings
Firstly half a platter. This is Jarrah Burl, what's left of it anyway. This is not your typical Jarrah Burl and a couple of the old fellows I know in WA refer to it as Blood Burl. It is usually quite soft, not distinct pattern or structure and is very prone to exploding whilst on the lathe

It is aproximately 300 across and like all my turnings, finished with 10 coats of Danish oil and hand rubbed
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Hi willy,
Looks great mate, love the way you finish with D.O.
Good to here you are back at the lathe, (have you been away?)
Well done:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
24th August 2015, 08:41 PM
Hi willy,
Looks great mate, love the way you finish with D.O.
Good to here you are back at the lathe, (have you been away?)
Well done:2tsup:

Hello Mate
Nah, I have been very busy building a new workshop, it can be found in the SHED Forum under Willy's New Workshop
Cheers
Willy

Willy Nelson
24th August 2015, 08:44 PM
Not surprised that "blood burl" is prone to failing given its structure and softer nature :rolleyes:. Plenty of strapping needed whilst turning that one.

The colours in the Goldfields burl is gorgeous. The Jarrah looks beautiful but can't really tell the shape from the photo, need profile/top/bottom/angled shots to really see.

I must admit I'm not a fan of Marri, so many times it just turns out boring and plain, but all good practice :U

Hello Neil
Nope, no strapping, some judicious use of CA is about all.

Shame the photos don't show the real colour of the goldfields burl

Lastly, I am surprised regarding your comment about the Marri, it usually has a heap of character, gum veins, curl and colour. Mind you, 10 years ago you couldn't give the stuff away. Is prone to react like burls, with the gum veins and lamination like grain, it can explode on the lathe.

Cheers
Willy

smiife
24th August 2015, 08:58 PM
Hello Mate
Nah, I have been very busy building a new workshop, it can be found in the SHED Forum under Willy's New Workshop
Cheers
Willy

Cool......I will go have a look:U