PDA

View Full Version : Bench height for small lathe

TongueTied
25th August 2015, 09:34 PM
I have just picked up my first lathe. It is a Jet Midi Lathe which is a bench top lathe. So, I need to find a bench to put it on. What height do people tend to have these things at? What height bench do people general use? Thanks.

Old Croc
25th August 2015, 09:51 PM
Basic rule of thumb is spindle height level with your elbow. I prefer the lathe 50MM higher, but you can do your own trials to find what suits you.
Rgds,
Crocy.

smiife
25th August 2015, 09:55 PM
I have just picked up my first lathe. It is a Jet Midi Lathe which is a bench top lathe. So, I need to find a bench to put it on. What height do people tend to have these things at? What height bench do people general use? Thanks.

Hi TT,
I am pretty sure It is the same for any lathe big or small
Stand In front of your lathe, bend your arm and measure
where your elbow is, that is roughly the centre height
of your headstock/tailstock, hope this helps , I read this
some where and It seems about right for me !

derekcohen
25th August 2015, 11:14 PM
Without measuring it, my bench looks to be about 36" high. Here is a picture shortly after it was completed 7 years ago ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/AStandformyJetMiniLathe_html_m698e7c99.jpg

Link to build: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/AStandformyJetMiniLathe.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

TongueTied
25th August 2015, 11:35 PM
That is fantastic. Cheers and thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Paul39
26th August 2015, 01:27 AM
TT,

As above, recommendation is center height - elbow height. I do almost all bowls and find I like it higher as it is easier working into the hollow end. Less bending over and less sore back.

Also consider making a narrow stand as above. Having a wide bench top will accumulate shavings, especially if you do bowls. Anything on the bench top will be buried under 200 - 400 mm of shavings.

Below is shavings from one bowl.