PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Lathe

Paul39
29th August 2015, 11:54 AM
This has been for sale on consignment in my favorite den of iniquity, Asheville Hardware, for $2500.

It is about 8 feet between centers.

I was impressed with the nice tidy build. I wanted a record for myself. The cabinet is made of 3/4 inch plywood. The bed is two C channels welded together. Note the cross bolting in the middle under the tool rest.

Old Croc, I can put a deposit on it for you.

hughie
2nd September 2015, 10:20 PM
Hmm interesting, $2,500 seems a little rich. But otherwise it looks like it'll do the job. :2tsup:

Paul39
3rd September 2015, 02:55 AM
Hmm interesting, $2,500 seems a little rich. But otherwise it looks like it'll do the job. :2tsup:

I thought the price was a little optimistic also. It has been there for months. I took a camera and tripod in last week and said I wanted to photograph the gray lathe. The owner asked which one. A big Delta had come in and was sold with another machine. The big gray one was offered as a package with the other machine at $1500 for the lathe.

If one needed to make 8 foot porch posts it wood be worth $2500 as opposed to building something yourself or buying an 8 foot between centers commercial lathe. Not everyone is like .

Paul39
5th September 2015, 08:25 AM
I was in the store today and the price is now $750.

A good deal for anyone in Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, or upstate South Carolina.

I'm not interested, as my 20 inch swing Woodfast will do bowls and I have no thoughts of doing porch posts.

The other day I did do a hoe handle and wished I had more distance between centers on the Hegner. One can buy a bunch of tool handles for $750.

Contact information: http://www.ashevillehardware.com/used-tools/

I have no interest in the store other than a happy customer.

hughie
5th September 2015, 08:34 AM
The other day I did do a hoe handle and wished I had more distance between centers on the Hegner. One can buy a bunch of tool handles for $750.

Aint that the truth :U

Paul39
27th October 2015, 12:09 PM
Lathe sold over the week end for $750.