PDA

View Full Version : Echidna natural edge bowl

kcam
3rd September 2015, 04:34 PM
Sometimes I get a bit carried away with embellishment of my woodcraft.....i turned two items from the sapwood of what i was told is Brazilian Walnut which is almost white and shows no grain. One was turned with a natural edge the other a rectangular shape, turned wet and allowed to warp and is still awaiting final inspiration to finish(one day). The natural edge bowl looked so bland that it just called out to be coloured so after stabilising the bark with diluted PVA I hand painted "Heritage Red" acrylic then got to it with a reciprocating carver, finished with numerous coats of spray lacquer and the result I called ECHIDNA. C&C most welcome....Kerry

Luke Maddux
3rd September 2015, 04:37 PM
Wow. That is awesome. It belongs in a gallery.

Well done,
Luke

kcam
3rd September 2015, 04:55 PM
Thanks Luke.....it's not that good there is a few imperfections if you look closely.....Kerry

turnerted
3rd September 2015, 05:15 PM
Very nice effect.
Ted

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd September 2015, 06:57 PM
As my wife just said: "It's so weird it's neat!"

Tres cool. :2tsup:

smiife
3rd September 2015, 08:37 PM
Hi kerry,
Looks great , well done
I like the carved feet !:cool:

powderpost
3rd September 2015, 11:07 PM
Kerry, that is nice, :2tsup: you have taken a bland featureless piece and turned it around into something really nice. My only concern is the use of sapwood, time will tell? I would have been tempted to microwave it to make sure that any borers and/or eggs were terminated. May not be too late even now???

Good luck... Jim

kcam
4th September 2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks Jim, your comment on microwave is noted however the piece sat on the self for over 12 months before embellishment so I think that the threat of invasion should be minimal.....the other warped piece has been microwaved and is now almost 18 months old awaiting my next move ....leave or embellish?

dai sensei
4th September 2015, 10:41 AM
I love it :cool:

and yes to embellish the other one

artme
4th September 2015, 04:00 PM
What a great piece!!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
4th September 2015, 05:23 PM
It is a nice piece and I think it did require some embellishment.

I am tending towards this being more of an artists piece, part of the embellishment and part of the thinner walls of the piece.

I am not saying that this is right or wrong but for me I would have either gone with one type of embellishment swirling lines or elongated dots both inside and out. Then again I think more towards the dots.

The other piece that you have presented I would say yes to some type of embellishment. And I am not totally opposed to leaving it as is if the small amount of figure can be highlighted.

kcam
5th September 2015, 10:54 AM
It is a nice piece and I think it did require some embellishment.
I am not saying that this is right or wrong but for me I would have either gone with one type of embellishment swirling lines or elongated dots both inside and out. Then again I think more towards the dots.

The other piece that you have presented I would say yes to some type of embellishment. And I am not totally opposed to leaving it as is if the small amount of figure can be highlighted.

Thanks for your thoughts Christo....it is always a dilemma "what to do and how far to go" . In this instance my thought process was that an Echidna only has quills on the top and its underside is smooth but also patterned and that was the design concept that i followed through on.

As to the other piece awaiting inspiration, it came to me last night when my wife and I were enjoying a wine around an outside Brazier burning offcuts/scrap from my recently tidied up workshop when a small practice piece was about to be added to the fire and I saw the potential of the practiced Dremeling against the images being emitted from the fire....the design has been registered in the memory although I had better not leave it too long before I get hold of the piece and execute the embellishment.
Thanks for everyones input....Cheers Kerry:)

Christos
5th September 2015, 01:14 PM
I get it now.

I must admit that I never looked under an Echidna. :B