PDA

View Full Version : MT accessories - using them unsupported.

Mobyturns
3rd September 2015, 08:37 PM
In response to a request here is my thoughts on using unsupported MT accessories.

Like a lot of things we do in wood turning - we get away with many slack practices, until one day we have an "accident." Unfortunately many turners don’t manage hazards and risk very well.

We may perceive the risk associated with using MT accessories in driven applications as low but some hazards do exist, & the potential injuries can be serious.

Just because a “tool” has a Jarno or MT1, 2 or 3 taper (I will just use MT as a generic term) does not necessarily mean it is suitable for use as an unsupported “driven accessory” on a wood lathe, or that the omission of a thread for the use of a draw bar correlates as “a draw bar is not required in all MT applications.”

MT drive & live centres, accessory arbors for items like cup chucks etc rely upon static friction to secure the MT taper in position. We want the mating MT surfaces to not move relative to each other i.e. not slip, and not to come apart so that we can drive a work piece and securely hold it where we want it.

The static friction is maintained by a positive axial force i.e. a force into the MT socket; negative force is away from the socket. On a drill press the press exerts the axial force/load on the MT, on a lathe the screw thread (or the lever in plunge/ram styles) in the tailstock delivers the positive axial force. MT drive & live centers rarely (if ever?) make provision for use of a draw bar, because on a lathe they are almost always used as a pair between centres so a positive axial load is maintained against the MT tapers unless the blank fails.

If for any reason that static friction is over come then the driven accessory/centre may slip (loose drive) or to move axially outwards, wobble and work its way out of the female MT taper (socket). Ever had a Jacobs chuck drop out of a drill press while there was no load on it; or the Jacobs chuck work loose from the tailstock while withdrawing a drill bit from the wood – negative axial load!

MT accessories are an entirely different proposition as they are often used by wood turners in unsupported mode i.e. no draw bar & no tail stock support. Tools like a MT Jacobs Chuck to hold/chuck small spindle pieces in the head stock; pendant chucks; as a mandrel for a collet chuck body, sanding discs, or friction/jamb chuck.

These unsupported applications present the additional hazard that they do not always maintain the positive axial force required to maintain the static friction fit and may work loose. In fact some wood turning tasks using buffs or certain cuts generate considerable negative axial forces!

The main causes of unsupported MT tapers working loose generally are

dirty MT tapers, foreign objects, rust, oil, dust, shavings caught in the taper
insufficient positive axial force to maintain the static friction
particular wood turning cuts (RH Vee & Cove cuts) generate negative axial forces on the blank,

It is a relatively simple task to over come or eliminate the hazard,

don’t use a MT accessory with out a draw bar in unsupported applications, or where negative axial loads are created,
or choose MT accessories with provision for a draw bar, and install a draw bar,
or choose an accessory that threads directly onto the head stock spindle.

Ultimately it is the individual turner’s decision. Is the perceived risk and the potential severity of an injury high enough to warrant addressing the potential hazard? How much time does it take to fit a draw bar?

I much prefer to use the Vermec ER25 & ER32 collet chucks over MT 2 accessories. Note the MT2 with tang Jacobs chuck shown is not suitable for use in the lathe head stock as it does not have any means to fit a draw bar with the tang.

Mobyturns
4th September 2015, 08:47 AM
358568 358569

Teknatool had a nice little design enhancement on the Nova Mercury lathe which used MT2 collets with a Collet Clamping Nut. This design does not require a drawbar and has the added benefit that longer spindle items can be fed through the hollow tailstock quill or a deep boring brill bit can be held along its shaft. The most significant benefit though was the minimal loss of between centers length for drilling / boring operations on a mini lathe whereas a Jacobs Chuck would loose 3 to 4" of between centers length. The only negative was that collets were only available in four sizes.

dai sensei
4th September 2015, 10:38 AM
All good advice :2tsup:

The only one I use is my home made pendant chuck. Drives me nuts that way it works loose, mainly due to my highly accurate M2 taper :rolleyes:, but I do monitor very closely. A pendant chuck may only be small, but at 3000rpm, I'm sure it would hurt. MIK gave me a proper pendant chuck I have been meaning to adapt to a spindle thread