PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel

Dalboy
4th September 2015, 02:21 AM
OK I know metal working but will they know the answer about turning.

I have some Stainless steel bar, what I would like to know is could it be used to make turning tools like skew chisels for example

Paul39
4th September 2015, 03:18 AM
OK I know metal working but will they know the answer about turning.

I have some Stainless steel bar, what I would like to know is could it be used to make turning tools like skew chisels for example

There are many kinds of stainless steel, some harder than others.

Grind a skew on one you have and compare it to a HSS skew to see how it cuts.

Easier would be to grind a square ended scraper and compare to a scraper you have.

That would save a lot of grinding in case the SS was not suitable.

I am a scrounger and tinkerer. I salvage round and square chrome plated rods from computer printers and copy machines. Some are quite hard and cut as well as HSS others are soft and are good for knock out bars and shafts for braised on carbide tools.

I have a bunch of rubber covered SS rollers from a Kodak developing machine. I ground a flat on top and a spindle gouge shaped bottom on one. I was not much impressed with how well it cut. Apparently that SS was made to be corrosion resistant vs hard, as it ran in strong alkali and then in strong acid solutions.

If you have access to Machinery's Handbook it has a section on hardness and hardenability of various steels.

See:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=spark+test+of+stainless+steel

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hardness+of+stainless+steel

hughie
4th September 2015, 05:29 AM
Stainless in its general form is not hardenable and will remain in its soft state. But to test any steel as to whether it has the ability there are two basic tests you can do.

The drop test, simply drop the steel bar from a short height onto a hard surface ie concrete floor. If its got any potential it should have a clear ring when it hits the floor. Do it a couple of time to make sure
Then slice a small chunk off, I generally slice about 3-4 mm off. Then heat it to a cherry red in colour, do this in the shade so you can see the colour better. When it reaches the right colour drop it into water. When cold run a file over it to see if it has hardened up. The file should slip over it with little or no effect.

Dalboy
5th September 2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.

mattm82
5th September 2015, 06:40 PM
Not to say it won't give you an indicator but heating to cherry red and quenching is more appropriate for carbon steels. Stainless generally requires a slower quench and far more specific atmosphere when heating prior.
If it is 410, 420, 440 stainless it is suitable, if it is the 300 series it won't be.
There is a bunch more types and happy to try and help you out if you would like some further info.
I make knives, and occasionally use stainless. I wrap them in stainless foil, heat in a digitally controlled oven and quench between aluminum plates (occasionally oil).
If you want some known stainless that will do the job contact Gameco, they'll have what you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hughie
6th September 2015, 06:30 PM
Not to say it won't give you an indicator but heating to cherry red and quenching is more appropriate for carbon steels. Stainless generally requires a slower quench and far more specific atmosphere when heating prior.
If it is 410, 420, 440 stainless it is suitable, if it is the 300 series it won't be.
There is a bunch more types and happy to try and help you out if you would like some further info.
I make knives, and occasionally use stainless. I wrap them in stainless foil, heat in a digitally controlled oven and quench between aluminum plates (occasionally oil).
If you want some known stainless that will do the job contact Gameco, they'll have what you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://gameco.com.au/files/62.pdf

True enough but finding any knife grade stainless lying around for most of these guys would be the exception rather than the rule. Most of what is found is of the food grade type or marine. But its not too difficult to run into various types and grades of carbon steel.
Although with the advent of Bohler Udderholm taking over much of the market and rationalizing steel type and grades. The selection today is rather woeful compared to 30-40 years ago.