PDA

View Full Version : Future Olive Blanks

dai sensei
5th September 2015, 09:04 PM
A few months ago now Kerry offered up an old Olive tree for sale in our Market Place. I scored the deal but couldn't pick it up until today as I head south to Philip Island Turnabout. I managed to minimise how much I normally pack into the trailer, but sold a few more of Gawdelpus's pen blanks to be delivered as I travelled and the 1200 odd I have with me took up more room than I thought. The olive was cut into decent chunks but there were quite a few. I filled up any spare space between my machinery, in front of the machinery, and all round. I could only just close the gate :rolleyes:. Some were cracked, one a bit hollow at base, but most were fine and solid with signs of good colour.

358708 358709

Did I mention, they were all down the back of the house, down a long steep narrow driveway :o. Lucky Olive is relatively light, the biggest piece probably only 20kgs, but not an easy task for this old fella with stuffed knees and shoulders.

In Melbourne I will process it down into turning blanks, bowls/pepper grinders/blocks and the odd pen blank, all to take down to Philip Island to sell & turn

Cheers

KBs PensNmore
5th September 2015, 10:25 PM
Keep finding timber like that, you're gunna need a bigger trailer:D Nice score by the way.
Kryn

Acco
5th September 2015, 10:39 PM
Lucky Olive is relatively light

Are you serious when you say it's light, at 990kg cubic metre dry, it is heavy but wet it's extremely heavy.

Will be interesting to see what it looks like once you've processed some of it

dai sensei
5th September 2015, 11:18 PM
Are you serious when you say it's light, at 990kg cubic metre dry, it is heavy but wet it's extremely heavy.

Will be interesting to see what it looks like once you've processed some of it

All very dry, certainly felt less than 990, maybe I'm getting stronger :rolleyes:. Hope it is not hollow, only saw one that was, and even that was only at one end. As you say, see how it looks when processed, fingers crossed

Paul39
6th September 2015, 04:46 AM
OH MY, what a score!!

Here olive costs an arm, a leg, and your first born child.

http://www.cormarkint.com/product/olivewood-bethlehem-turning-blanks/

smiife
6th September 2015, 05:38 PM
Hi neil,
Nice score with the olive , could you save a decent
bowl blank for me please ? I am heading up your way
on friday 11th , but you obviously won,t be there !
Thats a shame i was hoping to catch up again and
get a good cup of coffee !:U let me know if you have
any spare olive after your trip ,

doug3030
6th September 2015, 06:35 PM
Hi Neil, chasing a piece as discussed by PM, just putting a post in here so I get email updates on the thread :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

Christos
8th September 2015, 07:25 PM
....Here olive costs an arm, a leg, and your first born child.....

This is just my opinion but that does not sound like a good deal to me. :no:

John Saxton
8th September 2015, 08:19 PM
Nice pick up Neil on the Olive,almost always guarantee you're gonna get good colour & grain with it
I still have halve a trunk stored but not within easy grasp but buried within the timber stacked here.It's dry but I have to one day drag it out and get going with it .
Had it over 20yrs since I last turned a bowl.

Cheers

A few months ago now Kerry offered up an old Olive tree for sale in our Market Place. I scored the deal but couldn't pick it up until today as I head south to Philip Island Turnabout. I managed to minimise how much I normally pack into the trailer, but sold a few more of Gawdelpus's pen blanks to be delivered as I travelled and the 1200 odd I have with me took up more room than I thought. The olive was cut into decent chunks but there were quite a few. I filled up any spare space between my machinery, in front of the machinery, and all round. I could only just close the gate :rolleyes:. Some were cracked, one a bit hollow at base, but most were fine and solid with signs of good colour.

358708 358709

Did I mention, they were all down the back of the house, down a long steep narrow driveway :o. Lucky Olive is relatively light, the biggest piece probably only 20kgs, but not an easy task for this old fella with stuffed knees and shoulders.

In Melbourne I will process it down into turning blanks, bowls/pepper grinders/blocks and the odd pen blank, all to take down to Philip Island to sell & turn

Cheers

doug3030
11th September 2015, 07:04 PM
Hey Neil, Have you cut this olive yet?

Anything that would suit my project?

Cheers

Doug

dai sensei
12th September 2015, 11:42 PM
Sorry Doug, as discussed today, most of the big stuff was solid but heavily cracked. To avoid as many cracks as possible I ended up slicing most into blocks for carving and box making, plus turning blanks ranging from 350 dia down to 150 dia bowl blanks, handle/bottle stopper/pen blanks etc. All bar 1 bowl blank are now sold and so are a lot of the others but still a far bit left.

I turned a pepper grinder and pot pouri bowl out of it, exposing more cracks that I filled with brass and they came out a treat. I will post photos later after Philip Island.

doug3030
13th September 2015, 12:31 AM
Sorry Doug

Thanks for thinking of me Neil. It is what it is when you cut up timber. You do not always get what you want or expect. I am sure that a suitable piece will turn up one day. If anyone seeing this has any leads on a piece of olive suitable for a big mortar and pestle they might let me know.

Thanks again

Doug