PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL200 SRO Inverter Unit Mounting

bpbuilder
9th September 2015, 03:28 PM
Has anyone recently brought the new 'stripped down' version of the VL200 i.e. the stand mount (not adjustable) version?
http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=726

The unit that houses the inverter has short cables. The recommendations in the manuals:

Lathe 800mm away from the wall/general clearance all around.
The inverter unit can be wall mounted.
The inverter unit must be kept free from dust.

The cable length makes these three points hard. Has anyone got any cracking ideas? Being able to see the spindle speed read out would be good, which means wall mounting would be preferred. I guess it's possible to just leave it on the shelf, but leads to being built in, in the first place. Where have you put yours?

kcam
9th September 2015, 08:23 PM
Why don't you give Vicmarc a call, I see that you are in Brisbane and they are at KippaRing a suburb, or better still go and see/talk to them. i am sure that you will find that they will satisfy your questions.

Paul39
10th September 2015, 04:00 AM
Talking to Vicmarc is a good idea. I wonder if they could supply a longer cable from the inverter to the lathe. I have seen photos of lathes that had a cable long enough to reach to the house from the shed. :D:D:D

My preference would be to mount mount the control box on the wall at eye level in a box with a plastic front. Box would have no bottom and a roof 25mm above so that air could circulate. Roof would extend 50mm past front and sides of the box, tight to the wall in back.

If not prohibitively expensive, the below on a strong magnet that could be placed near the tail stock, so the lathe can be turned off without reaching over a flailing around shattered turning.

From Vicmarc site:

http://www.vicmarc.com/img/lathes/Lathe%20Access/Magnetic-Switch.jpg

Optional extra magnetic remote switch box and stop bar can be fitted to this lathe.

If the cable is long enough, you could mount the control box behind the right end of the lathe about shoulder high on what we call a 2 X 4 here. There is less dust and chips and you are not reaching over a turning part when stopping or changing speed.

bpbuilder
10th September 2015, 02:24 PM
Why don't you give Vicmarc a call, I see that you are in Brisbane and they are at KippaRing a suburb, or better still go and see/talk to them. i am sure that you will find that they will satisfy your questions.

I have already but the recommendation doesn't seem to work for me as explained in my first post, so I'm looking for alternate solutions.

Talking to Vicmarc is a good idea. I wonder if they could supply a longer cable from the inverter to the lathe. I have seen photos of lathes that had a cable long enough to reach to the house from the shed. :D:D:D

My preference would be to mount mount the control box on the wall at eye level in a box with a plastic front. Box would have no bottom and a roof 25mm above so that air could circulate. Roof would extend 50mm past front and sides of the box, tight to the wall in back.

If not prohibitively expensive, the below on a strong magnet that could be placed near the tail stock, so the lathe can be turned off without reaching over a flailing around shattered turning.

Might see if I can get a longer cable from them and mount it in some kind of perspex box at eye height. I like this idea. Thanks.

turnerted
10th September 2015, 05:26 PM
My VL240 has a similar (the same?) control unit and switch .I have a mobile rack and shelf behind the lathe which holds my tools and sandpaper etc . I mounted the control unit on this , just to the left of the headstock .This is not exactly dust free, but is out of line of dust thrown off when sanding .The lead on the stop/start/speed control box is plenty long enough to sit anywhere on the lathe with it's magnetic base .
Ted

bpbuilder
10th September 2015, 07:08 PM
My VL240 has a similar (the same?) control unit and switch .I have a mobile rack and shelf behind the lathe which holds my tools and sandpaper etc . I mounted the control unit on this , just to the left of the headstock .This is not exactly dust free, but is out of line of dust thrown off when sanding .The lead on the stop/start/speed control box is plenty long enough to sit anywhere on the lathe with it's magnetic base .
Ted

Thanks Ted. Any chance you could post or PM a photo of this set up? This is what my inverter box looks like:

The on/off switch control is a separate issue at the moment, I don't own one currently just use the standard control mounted under the headstock.

Cheers.

turnerted
11th September 2015, 05:11 PM
Yep. Looks just like mine . I'll try and remember to take a picture tomorrow .
Ted

Woodturnerjosh
11th September 2015, 07:13 PM
I have the one for my VL240 mounted in the stand and gave it clearance to allow air flow. You shouldn't have a problem extending the cable (just make sure you get shielded cable)
I haven't really paid attention to the read out on the inverter (I actually can't see it the way I have it set up) but don't you only get an easily useable speed read out when using the fastest pulley ratio option? (i.e. 3000rpm)

cheers

Josh

turnerted
12th September 2015, 10:04 AM
Here's a picture of my setup
Ted

bpbuilder
13th September 2015, 10:57 AM
I have the one for my VL240 mounted in the stand and gave it clearance to allow air flow. You shouldn't have a problem extending the cable (just make sure you get shielded cable)
I haven't really paid attention to the read out on the inverter (I actually can't see it the way I have it set up) but don't you only get an easily useable speed read out when using the fastest pulley ratio option? (i.e. 3000rpm)

cheers

Josh

A bit of math :U but to be honest most of my work hasn't really called for increasing the torque.

Here's a picture of my setup
Ted

Thanks Ted. Looks quite practical. See the VL240 has a nice big spindle read out on the headstock as well.

Has given me some ideas.