PDA

View Full Version : Bowl with a difference W.I.P.

powderpost
9th September 2015, 05:59 PM
Well, here it is. Started cleaning up again, that is NOT my favorite pastime. There was this bit of camphor laurel just sitting there minding it's own business, and came to my attention. Mmmm, just about the right size for this exercise. It measured 180mm x 200mm and 75mm thick, just right.
I squared it up to 155mm square and fixed to the face plate with two screws. Align the two screws on a centre line, towards the end grain. This will be the side that forms the centre "column".

Mount it in the lathe.

Turn to shape. The shape doesn't really matter and depends on your own ideas. This will be the outside of the bowl. Leave a "foot" about 80mm in diameter. This will be used to re-chuck the bowl.

On a second face plate, mount a waste block and turn it to the same shape as the "foot" on the bowl.

Use the lathe as a press and glue the "waste" block and face plate to the bowl.

That's it for today, got to wait for the glue to set properly. Can't set up for an accident now can we? It is nearly stubby o'clock.

Jim

kcam
9th September 2015, 06:10 PM
Looking good Jim, will follow your progress with interest particularly as I am not too sure of the direction that you are heading ......but I am SURE that all will be revealed.

Regards
Kerry

Osbojo
9th September 2015, 11:30 PM
Thanks Jim, loving it. I'm following it thus far and looking forward to the next installment.

John.

powderpost
10th September 2015, 03:46 PM
Ok.. the glue has set and I have removed the face plate and put it on the lathe again. I then bored a series of 3mm holes into the outside on the end grain sides about 6mm deep. Now proceeded to turn the inside out.

The holes and the crack on the end grain will be lost with the first cut. The inside is now turned out, using the holes to gauge the wall thickness. Alternatively a cross section of the job could be drawn full size and inside and outside templates made to suit.

The inside is cleaned up. Now the job is cut off the waste block and remounted on the original face plate in the original position, so that the waste from the waste block can be turned off and the outside tidied up.

Now comes he tricky bit. Remove the face plate and clean up the flat surface. Tilt the bowl on the long grain edge and cut the bowl at about 45 degrees. I tilted the table on my bandsaw to do this. You may have to adjust the angle so that there is about 5 or 6mm of timber in the neck. In the first photo you can see the two sides have been cut off the original bowl and glued together. It was now that I got interrupted. I had set the bandsaw table at 45 and should have changed the cut to about 60 degrees instead of 45 degrees. Well that is my story and I intend to stick to it. :C :D. That made the neck very thin. Now more disaster, I dropped he damn thin and broke the neck. :(( I ground the damaged part off and glued it back together then carried on after some rather coarse references to my heritage. Look carefully at the second photo and you will notice that it has been cut across into two halves. These two halves are joined along the edge after the edges were flattened, as seen in the first photo. On one occasion, I cut the top out of the shape on the left of the first photo, and called it a war canoe.

After the two halves are glued together and tidied up, now you should have something that looks like this.

Job done... simple.

Jim

turnerted
10th September 2015, 04:59 PM
Fascinating Jim . I will have to come back to this and think more about it . I got a bit lost when it got to "now comes the tricky bit"
Ted

Osbojo
10th September 2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks Jim, an awesome WIP. Dunno about simple but all the info's there so I'll have a crack, hopefully in the next week or so. I'm going to have to go through your description a few more times but the cutting at 45/60 degree was the key bit that I didn't pick up on and I think the penny has dropped.

Thanks again for doing the WIP.

John.

kcam
10th September 2015, 08:07 PM
Ok..
. These two halves are joined along the edge after the edges were flattened, as seen in the first photo. On one occasion, I cut the top out of the shape on the left of the first photo, and called it a war canoe.

Jim

:2tsup:Jim, I see some great potential for your "war canoe" version, actually more than your proposed finished item (vessel), you have far more patience than I. Looking forward to seeing the final finished product

powderpost
10th September 2015, 08:34 PM
:2tsup:Jim, I see some great potential for your "war canoe" version, actually more than your proposed finished item (vessel), you have far more patience than I. Looking forward to seeing the final finished product

Jim

kcam
13th September 2015, 05:56 PM
That's it assembled.....but what about the final finished piece :roll:.....cheers kerry