PDA

View Full Version : Query on spalted/pithy wood

Tim Creeper
11th September 2015, 11:00 PM
Hi folks.I posted a thread on "market place" http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=198457
I thought I'd Post a reference to it here aswell and see if I can get some responses to the question; Does anyone consider it worth paying postage for? Is it worth bothering with?

wheelinround
12th September 2015, 09:31 AM
some great colour in those pieces thats for sure:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Paul39
13th September 2015, 12:28 PM
Nice looking figure. I have struggled with pretty timber that was too soft, tore out, and would not finish well.

Whether it is worth the effort depends on how soft and punky, or if it is worth the expense and effort to encapsulate the whole roughed out piece in resin.

I'm playing with a bunch of spalted maple just now. Sometimes the best and highest use is the wood stove.

Ron Rutter
14th September 2015, 03:29 PM
Hi folks.I posted a thread on "market place" http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=198457
I thought I'd Post a reference to it here aswell and see if I can get some responses to the question; Does anyone consider it worth paying postage for? Is it worth bothering with?

Tim. The only piece that looks real dicey is the bottom right in the first picture. Nice looking wood. How soft is it & can you push a pencil into it in many pieces/places.

Tim Creeper
14th September 2015, 04:58 PM
Tim. The only piece that looks real dicey is the bottom right in the first picture. Nice looking wood. How soft is it & can you push a pencil into it in many pieces/places.

Hi Ron. Thanks for the comment. Some is very soft/pithy and yes you can push a pencil into it, hence the question. Not knowing enough about stabilizing I thought I'd try and find out. To me it seems useless but you never know/

Tim Creeper
14th September 2015, 05:02 PM
Nice looking figure. I have struggled with pretty timber that was too soft, tore out, and would not finish well.

Whether it is worth the effort depends on how soft and punky, or if it is worth the expense and effort to encapsulate the whole roughed out piece in resin.

I'm playing with a bunch of spalted maple just now. Sometimes the best and highest use is the wood stove.

Thanks Paul. My guess is a bloke would have to be very experienced to use it. Some of it's so soft you can just about rip it out with your hands