PDA

View Full Version : Spinal stuck....woodfast lathe

Mr Nail
12th September 2015, 03:26 AM
Hi all,
i can't seem to get my spinal out to f my woodfast lathe....built 1980 restoration project. I can hammer it so far about 1/2 inch then it stops dead and the pulley jams against the headstock housing...
any tricks of the trade.
cheers
http://www.woodworkforums.com/webkit-fake-url://8aec58ae-2c8a-4c55-a8ad-05854c343921/imagejpeg

RoyG
12th September 2015, 09:51 AM
Hi all,
i can't seem to get my spinal out to f my woodfast lathe....built 1980 restoration project. I can hammer it so far about 1/2 inch then it stops dead and the pulley jams against the headstock housing...
any tricks of the trade.
cheers
http://www.woodworkforums.com/webkit-fake-url://8aec58ae-2c8a-4c55-a8ad-05854c343921/imagejpeg

By "Spinal" I assume that you really mean "Spindle", but that's really a guess without more information. Please post some photographs showing exactly the problem that you're talking about. Photographs always help to ensure that forum members who are attempting to provide you with assistance have a clear understanding of the actual problem.

Looking forward to seeing some more details.

RoyG

Mobyturns
12th September 2015, 10:00 AM
Have you located the set/grub screws in the pulley ass'y and backed them right off. The spindle has to be driven out from the outboard end towards the tail stock.

If the aluminium pulley is frozen onto the steel spindle shaft, then you may require some outside assistance to free it up.

hughie
12th September 2015, 04:36 PM
I hope the grub screw were loose otherwise its going to be a tough one. Assuming you have loosened the grub screws. Squirt some kero or similar onto the shaft and try tapping it back on to somewhere to where it was originally....gently, use a block of wood. If the shaft is marked or has plenty of krud on it then clean first. The kero will act as a lubricant, if it taps back then check the shaft again for burrs, dings etc and clean it up with a fine file or emery paper.

It would pay to put some kero down the grub screw hole before you start tapping it back, also make sure theres no further burrs or hammer marks etc on the remainder of the shaft. This will otherwise grab the ali pulley as it comes off. Now your ready to have another go at getting it off.

But some piccys would be appreciated so we can get a more accurate picture of the problem might be.

Woodturnerjosh
12th September 2015, 05:12 PM
If there is a grub screw that hasn't been removed it would be worth taking it out completely and making sure there aren't two in there (sometimes people use a second grub screw to lock the first one in) Don't ask me how I figured that out :B:doh: