PDA

View Full Version : pen blanks, size???

hughie
12th September 2015, 04:18 PM
I have a fair bit of fiddle back Redgum that I'm going to cut up into pen blanks as its not suitable for what I normally do. Given that I dont turn pens ever I was wondering whats the most common size for pen blanks.

turnerted
12th September 2015, 05:49 PM
I only make the basic Slimline type pens and cut my blanks about 18mm square x 110mm long .Other styles may require different sizes . Have a look on Timberbits web site . He gives instructions for all sorts of pens .
Ted

Dalboy
12th September 2015, 11:54 PM
If I am cutting wood for pen blanks I cut between 3/4" to 1" as these cover most pens that I have turned and cut the again between 5" and 6" long this again covers most pen kits there are very odd times that a slightly larger cross section is needed

dai sensei
13th September 2015, 12:03 AM
The standard blank is 19mm square, and the large one 22mm square, by 140mm long. A few people sell 16mm square but these are really only useful for slimelines. I cut mine between 22 and 25mm depending on how dry the timber is.

Ironwood
13th September 2015, 08:00 AM
I cut most of mine at 20x20x at least 120mm,but usually leave a couple a bit longer for closed end pens. And if the timber is special, I will cut a few at 24x24x150 to suit a larger pen.

Christos
14th September 2015, 06:27 PM
The sizes that I have range around 20mm and try to push a little larger to about 25mm square.

I have not made any pens for a while but when I do have off cuts I try to keep them on the larger sizes. I have used the larger flat pieces to make plugs and even glued together a couple of pieces for two tone pens.