PDA

View Full Version : Olive Lazy Susan

dai sensei
19th September 2015, 01:03 AM
My sister asked for a lazy susan out of timber whilst in Melb, so I decided to give my Olive a go (the only timber I have with me anyway :U). I used one of the cracked thin bowl blanks no-one else wanted to buy and slowly filled all the cracks with coffee grinds and thin CA. The witnesses stood well clear assuming it would fail, as the cracks were extensive, many showing signs of almost all the way across the blank.

Theses are photographs as the second coat of NCL was applied. Unfortunately this seemed to make the timber react, not sure if it was completely dry, and some of the cracks opened. I have resealed them all with more CA and now left it for a week to see if it moves anymore before resanding and finishing again

Top 359881 Bot 359880

Pat
19th September 2015, 07:20 AM
"Crackers" still fighting you!

Paul39
19th September 2015, 07:50 AM
Oh My!! Beautiful Figure. I hope it stays together.

I like to put 2 - 3 wraps of masking tape around cracked bowls. A bit more difficult with platters.

John Saxton
21st September 2015, 07:55 PM
Often the case,you get a nice piece of timber and it lets you down.
Might be a need to think outside the square or round I should say to see what other possibilities there may be .
Hope you can salvage something out of this..too nice to end up as firewood.

Cheers:)

powderpost
21st September 2015, 09:12 PM
Bit of a shame? Now you can understand why segmenting is the way to go???

http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/spyme.gif

Jim

Christos
1st October 2015, 04:58 PM
Bit of a shame? Now you can understand why segmenting is the way to go???.......

Slice it up and glue it back together.

Maybe add a bit of wood with more figure in it.:innocent:

:laughing1:

dai sensei
2nd October 2015, 08:42 AM
The crack was easily fixed with thin CA and more coffee, apart from the resanding, then recoated again without issue. I gave it to my sister last weekend and alls good.