PDA

View Full Version : Lathe under $3000 question

Prle77
19th September 2015, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone... been thinking for a while to dip my toes into woodturning...
Been looking around... although Nova XP looks very fancy shmancy .. :) it is a bit above my price budget
The one I've found on timbecon site is Deluxe Variable Speed Lathe HP-1642 (http://www.timbecon.com.au/woodturning/lathes/deluxe-variable-speed-lathe) which looks like (i guess) chinese copy of the german DRECHSELBANK HOLZPROFI HM1642-2 (http://holzprofi.com/maschinen/zur-holzbearbeitung/drechselmaschinen/HS-HM1642-2) and sells $2299
Has anyone used it / have it and have anything to say about it???
I have tried search through the forum for either of the above but could not find anything...

Another potential would be Carbatec Electronic Variable Speed Wood Lathe (https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning/lathes-and-accessories/lathes/lathe-variable-speed-1-s-190kg-151-74-56cm) which sells for $2899 (quite close to the maximum budget...
With the timbetec one I could get the chisels and nova 2 chuck which should set be up and running for under $3k (just a bit under.. )

Other than those two I could not find anything else..

Was looking for smaller ones but those are not as versatile as the ones above.. I am hoping later on to turn some legs for dining table so 400mm span will make very low dining table, while the above ones offer over 1000mm span
Any recommendation is quite welcome
Thanks

Sturdee
19th September 2015, 02:44 AM
Try Pop's Shed, similar for (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=8&scid=54&pid=543)$ 2195 and it's local.

Paul39
19th September 2015, 07:41 AM
Prle77,

If you have not done any turning, you might want to try it a bit before spending the first dollar. Either at a men's shed, turning club, a friend with a lathe, or a weekend class.

Some folks try it and don't much like turning. Those of us addicted don't understand, but there are a few.

If you buy a new lathe, it is worth 3/4 or less of what you paid for it as soon as you load it on your vehicle.

When you go lathe shopping, if at all possible turn something on a demo before you buy. If that is not possible go to a show room or rooms and work the tail stock back and forth, adjust the tool rest, reach for the controls, etc. Do this on several lathes.

Also consider used. I consider 1/2 price of new for decent looking good running machinery. $1500 will buy a nice used lathe.

Mobyturns
19th September 2015, 08:09 AM
Lathe choice largely depends upon your turning preferences.

If you aren't into really big (dia) stuff I would definitely add the Vicmarc VL150 to your list. Exceptional "midi lathe", smooth, plenty of power, even cleans up after itself :rolleyes: (I wish). Even with an extension bed to allow for longer table legs you would have some change from the $3k. :D

Simplicity
19th September 2015, 09:05 AM
Pops shed had a very short course you could do on a Saturday morning.
It's how I got started

Prle77
19th September 2015, 08:38 PM
Thank you for your replies!!
Greatly appreciated

Will definitely check you pop's shed.. and attend some classes...
Was hoping to do a bit of a trial at the woodworking show.. but there were pretty much no lathes!! At least not the demo ones.. so was left dry...

Will check if I can go to pop's shed and do some classes there...

hughie
20th September 2015, 09:54 AM
Thank you for your replies!!
Greatly appreciated

Will definitely check you pop's shed.. and attend some classes...
Was hoping to do a bit of a trial at the woodworking show.. but there were pretty much no lathes!! At least not the demo ones.. so was left dry...

Will check if I can go to pop's shed and do some classes there...

Hmm, yeah, if you sit down and look at what you like to turn and what you hope to progress to in the future. The lathe choice will be greatly narrowed.
Also you might want to look at the 'other tools' you will need ie bandsaw, grinder, sharpening jig, maybe chainsaw and tools with that sandpaper. If you dont have these or many of them they need to be factored into the budget. Tools, your tool requirements will be governed largely by what you turn.

One other comment, Theres a turner in Peru who has lathe knocked up out of railway iron, channel etc with gravity as the belt tensioner and he turns some really beautiful pieces. So the point I'm making is to consider starting with a lower price lathe even second hand and invest in the other equipment first, but do so with an eye for quality. Then move up to a better lathe later when you have a much clearer idea of where you want to take your turning.

Mobyturns
20th September 2015, 04:28 PM
Hughie makes a very good point about the additional equipment & starting with a lower price lathe.

I've seen some very good work come of basic machines BUT the machine was no longer original in the true sense of the word. Often the turner had put quite considerable effort into ironing out the bugs.

There are very good belt change lathes languishing in sheds waiting for "one day" to come around again. Older Goldings, Toughs, Woodfasts, Vicmarcs etc can be re-powered with EVS at a very reasonable "total price" and will still be much better lathes than some of the newer generation lathes. A bit of elbow grease and a some technical know how & assistance - wallah!

Prle77
20th September 2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks Hughie and Mobyturns
When it comes to other tools i'm pretty much there.. wood turning is to be an expansion to my woodworking hobby..
So far I've got most of the tools already covered

Bandsaw - tick
Table saw - tick
Drop saw - tick
Belt sander - tick
Dusty - tick
:)

When it comes to sharpening.. I've got couple of grinders... (dont think they will be any good for sharpening of woodturning tools but for a standard course grind of a standard chisel they do the job)
Got few diamond plates as well as sharpening jig for hand sharpening of chisels (to get them very sharp)
I guess sharpening device of some kind will be on the plate...

I was looking at second hand lathes.. but all I could find so far were really basic models (no proper speed control like the ones I've been looking for..) so unless something really pops out ... I might as well look for te new one and get it done and over with.. :)

pommyphil
21st September 2015, 07:32 AM
You could buy a very good "pre loved " lathe for $3K. Keep your eye out for a Vicmarc.

hughie
21st September 2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks Hughie and Mobyturns
When it comes to other tools i'm pretty much there.. wood turning is to be an expansion to my woodworking hobby..
So far I've got most of the tools already covered

Bandsaw - tick
Table saw - tick
Drop saw - tick
Belt sander - tick
Dusty - tick
:)

When it comes to sharpening.. I've got couple of grinders... (dont think they will be any good for sharpening of woodturning tools but for a standard course grind of a standard chisel they do the job)
Got few diamond plates as well as sharpening jig for hand sharpening of chisels (to get them very sharp)
I guess sharpening device of some kind will be on the plate...

I was looking at second hand lathes.. but all I could find so far were really basic models (no proper speed control like the ones I've been looking for..) so unless something really pops out ... I might as well look for te new one and get it done and over with.. :)

Sounds good, as for 2nd hand gear its really a patience game to get something worth while.The standard grinder will do just fine, some sort of jig will help greatly. Its fine to go to pink, white or CBN wheels but at the end of the day all your doing is putting a good edge on a tool and the old gray wheels will do it just fine, you can always run over them with a diamond file to get a finer edge. It would be better to polish inside the flute on all your gouges than rush out and buy new wheels for your grinders. By polishing it you will allow the chips to move more freely away from the edge and it will produce a base for better sharpening.

rsser
22nd September 2015, 01:02 PM
Prle, another expense is chucks and accessory jaws. And of course tools, and they're not cheap as the shafts are HSS.

I'd add my vote to scouting out a 2nd hand setup which will often come with chuck and tools, calipers, MT Jacobs chuck, face plates and lots of other bits and pieces for little extra.

PS, it's not ridiculous to suggest, if you get the bug, that you'll spend 1:1: lathe to the rest. Course some of 'the rest' you already have.

Prle77
23rd September 2015, 02:46 PM
Hi Rsser
The total budget for purchase is max 3K... this is from understanding that a decent lathe with variable speed and enough length to be able to turn dining table legs (approx 750 - 800 lengths) is over 2K easy...
The rest of the budget is for nova chuck and some gauges / parting tools (basic set to get the ball rolling)
This setup is to get me going and playing and making some stuff
Later on I will invest into other stuff .. such as different chucks, more parting tools / gauges, tool rests, and a sharpener... (most likely sharpener will be first on the list...)
I am hoping to go to Pop's shed this weekend to have a look and talk to guys there and hopefully even play with one of the lathes to get a feel...
I have few ideas for some simple things which I can turn quickly and will look nice enough...
Now i guess a bit stupid question but what a heck... What are rules for those classes?? Bring your own timber??? or something is provided... :)
I would like to be prepared.. :P

chucky
24th September 2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Prie77... May I suggest that you have a good look at the M305X Woodfast Variable speed with the extension bed from Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies. This combination will enable you to turn table legs and has 12in swing over the bed. We have app 10 of the m305 & m305x lathes at our club, also the majority of Lathes at Philip Island Turn Feast were M305 or M305x Lathes. PS you will even have change to purchase other items eg Vicmarc Chuck & a set of Chisels etc.