PDA

View Full Version : Vermec Deep Hollowing System - Practice

Pat
19th September 2015, 07:03 PM
Hello All, a few weeks ago I picked up a Vermec Deep Hollowing System for a reasonable price. (No stand over tactics used, thanks NZCarver!) So I get a Olive blank, rough it a drill a 25mm shaft about 55mm deep. I was thinking that 25mm was wide enough for the bent shaft to get right under the top of the hollow form. I was wrong ( Yes everyone act surprised :;) The opening has been enlarged to about 35mm and I still cannot get right under the top. Any hints, destructions or plain belts to the head to get me to see the answer to the issue?

hughie
19th September 2015, 07:06 PM
you have to have a modified head made up to get under the lip on this one

dai sensei
19th September 2015, 09:25 PM
Have you got the goose neck, the U-shaped shaft at the end one that cuts at 90 degrees? Even with that one it isn't easy though

Pat
19th September 2015, 10:34 PM
Bugger, I thought that was the answer. Back to the Woodcut Gooseneck.

Attached are the three heads, that I have for the kit.360003

dai sensei
20th September 2015, 11:05 AM
Yep missing the gooseneck (see set here http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vermec-deep-hollowing-set-4pc). There is even another one that us a complete U shape, not sure if it is vermec though, that helps with that deep cut right at the inside top

Drillit
20th September 2015, 12:16 PM
Yep missing the gooseneck (see set here http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vermec-deep-hollowing-set-4pc). There is even another one that us a complete U shape, not sure if it is vermec though, that helps with that deep cut right at the inside top

Agree with Neil - you need the hook tool to get under the rim. In fact, you can use one without using the deep hollowing system, using the toolpost up close but ensure hook is fully over the rest
so that you are on the flat shaft when cutting. Take light cuts and check regularly. Hope that helps. Drillit.

Sawdust Maker
20th September 2015, 04:12 PM
I don't think that goose neck usually comes with the deep hollowing tool

Pat
20th September 2015, 04:31 PM
Nick, not with the "Ultimate" kit, AFAIK.

The Woodcut Gooseneck is doing the job, just I like the sense of control with the Vermec Captured kit.

wheelinround
20th September 2015, 06:10 PM
Pat for under the rim area I use the OTGA made swan neck tool limited reach due to the U but always does most of what I do. That one posted elsewhere was down to 4mm thick top rim area.

Pat
20th September 2015, 06:56 PM
Ok, it is fini. Still in one piece, although judicious use of masking tape was I believe warranted 360035

The access hole ended up a tad over 50mm. I think the 25mm entry was a bit over ambitious, but is something to aim for.

I have giving it a drink of Food Safe oil as a starter and will add more over the next few weeks, then leave for a month and see if it remains in one piece.360036360037

smiife
20th September 2015, 07:04 PM
Hi pat,
I always use mine upside-down to the right of the hole
always seems to work ok that way, and you can get right
into the "corner" as it were!:;

Pat
20th September 2015, 08:50 PM
Hello Smiife, that's how I used it as well, but wasn't holding my tongue in the right position and couldn't get it working.:;

I will choose another shape for the next practice piece, a more rounded top for easier transition to the wall . . .

One thing, jeez the Yellow Peril worked flawlessly with the jig. About 500 - 600 rpm was the sweet spot.

Sawdust Maker
21st September 2015, 12:55 PM
I suppose it would be too much to expect for the woodcut to fit the Vermec handle etc!

Pat
21st September 2015, 06:27 PM
I suppose it would be too much to expect for the woodcut to fit the Vermec handle etc!

Well, yes. Woodcut is a 16mm bar and the Vermec are 12mm . . .

Paul39
29th September 2015, 05:25 AM
Well, yes. Woodcut is a 16mm bar and the Vermec are 12mm . . .

You own a grinder, or belt sander?

Sawdust Maker
29th September 2015, 08:37 AM
You own a grinder, or belt sander?

or maybe someone with a metal work lathe?

wheelinround
29th September 2015, 11:42 AM
Here you go Pat http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&cat=1,330,49232&p=49127

Similar to OTGA hollowing tool http://lumberjocks.com/projects/88955