PDA

View Full Version : two new bowls

turnerted
20th September 2015, 12:21 PM
G'day
Here's a couple of new bowls.The first is Norfolk Island pine which is about 190 mm diam. and the second ,Banksia , about 230 mm .The finish is DO .
The Norfolk Island pine is one of several that have been sitting round for about 5 years because had a big problem with tearout when I tried to finish them . I eventually discovered that turning at relatively high speed and using a negative rake scraper cleaned it up OK so now I can finish the rest off .
C$C welcome.
Ted

Sawdust Maker
20th September 2015, 03:55 PM
cool

I'll have to wander over one day and check out these negative rake scrapers

smiife
20th September 2015, 04:13 PM
Hi ted,,
Very nice i like the deeper one, would make a nice
fruit bowl,, well done,,,,, mmmmm i must try one of
those negative rack scrapers too ! any chance of
a piccy of yours?

Toymaker Len
20th September 2015, 11:08 PM
Very nice bowls. I think you might find that your banksia is cassuarina.

Paul39
21st September 2015, 10:41 AM
Point your regular old scraper down 10 - 15 degrees and you have a negative rake scraper.

I sharpen mine upside down on the grinder at about 80 degrees to get a burr and take off tissue paper thin shavings. The burr lasts one pass across the bowl, then another swipe on the grinder.

A thick heavy scraper cuts down on vibration, 38mm wide & 10mm thick is about right.

If the timber is dense and hard, honing the top after sharpening is supposed to work better. I don't find much difference, but the timbers in the US are not as dense as those in AU, with the exception of 50 to 75 year old locust posts that are like turning concrete.

For research, put "negative rake scrapers wood turning" in Google.

Turner Ted, nice bowls.

turnerted
21st September 2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the comments .
Nick, welcome any time.
Len , you are quite right . I must have had a little brain fade .
There a couple of good videos on negative rake scrapers by Mike Waldt and Wyomingturner .
I sharpen mine as described by Brendan Stemp in Australian Woodworker no.163 ,with the same angle both sides . On mine the included angle is about 75 degrees .This means you can use the same scraper for left and righthand curves ,you just touch up the burr on which ever side you want to use .
Ted