PDA

View Full Version : Crushgrind designs

rsser
22nd September 2015, 11:34 AM
There are two designs out there for the knob/body join. Craft Supplies (US) shows the knob just sitting on the body held by the shaft. Brendan's design uses a tenon to link the two.

Has anyone gone the first route and found the shaft wasn't enough to maintain good alignment?

CS instructions are attached.

Drillit
22nd September 2015, 12:05 PM
There are two designs out there for the knob/body join. Craft Supplies (US) shows the knob just sitting on the body held by the shaft. Brendan's design uses a tenon to link the two.

Has anyone gone the first route and found the shaft wasn't enough to maintain good alignment?

CS instructions are attached.
Hello Ern,
I have found that Brendan's design is much better for the key reason you outline. What I do is to let the rim of the top of the mechanism sit within the top of the base. I have found that this works best and you get a flush
join. I also make the hole at the top where the rim sits in the base a little deeper than the protruding mechanism -approx 1-2mm. Hope that helps. Drillit.

Acco
22nd September 2015, 12:09 PM
In the assembly section on page 2, step 5 says the shoulder of the stopper acts as the tenon not the shaft?

rsser
22nd September 2015, 12:17 PM
Ah, ok. Thanks Acco. I missed that. Was concentrating on the diagram.
Thanks Drillit. Yeah, on old style grinders I used a tenon.