PDA

View Full Version : Wood Dust Sensitivity

Paul39
26th September 2015, 12:35 PM
I had my annual health check up Sept. 1. Among my list of things to discuss was a vague dull ache in my right chest. Doc ordered two X-rays and later wrote and said I had a mild case of emphysema and ordered a CT scan for next month.

I'm 75 and retired from 40 years as a commercial photographer, so was in a darkroom daily with chemicals. All the darkrooms I built had forced air ventilation but some of the color chemicals were pretty vile and poisonous.

Along the way I built darkroom sinks from fiberglass and polyester resin, sawed wood, put up and finished sheet rock, changed brake shoes, built decks with pressure treated lumber, spray painted, etc. I did not always use a dust mask.

I may have smoked 20 cigars in my life, but was around people who smoked.

I have been turning since 2007 and always had a box fan sucking out of the basement pulling air away from the lathe and mostly used a dust mask.

I would occasionally wake up with "Turners Cough". In the last year I am increasingly affected by dust, tree pollen, flowers, and scents that men and women use.

A couple days ago I cut a hole through the brick wall and installed a surplus high end kitchen vent fan. Yesterday I ran a 6 foot piece of 8 inch duct to the lathe. I cut a doughnut from a piece of scrap 2 X 10 to fit the 8 inch duct to a piece of 6 inch flexible aluminum duct. A test shows lots of suction.

I used a mask and had the box fan on, but over night and today I am coughing, sneezing, and have a runny nose. I think the cumulative neglect over the years is catching up with me.

Doing some research I find this:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0063000/

Those of you not yet affected give dust removal and face masks consideration. BobL and others have several posts on the subject.

I would like to see others that have been affected by wood dust post their experiences. I recall one or two that have had to give up turning.

BobL
26th September 2015, 02:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation Paul. Lets hops it can at least act as a reminder to others to do something about dust.

A couple days ago I cut a hole through the brick wall and installed a surplus high end kitchen vent fan. Yesterday I ran a 6 foot piece of 8 inch duct to the lathe. I cut a doughnut from a piece of scrap 2 X 10 to fit the 8 inch duct to a piece of 6 inch flexible aluminum duct. A test shows lots of suction.

Those kitchen vent fans (even the high end ones) might "feel" like they move a lot of air but my measurements show that they don't move anywhere near the amount of air needed to deal with. They are Ok for general shed ventilation but to grab wood dust "at the source" the air flow has to be be at least 1000 cfm which those kitchen fans are not.

To better grab wood dust collection from wood turning a bell mouth hood is recommend since it collects air (and fine dust) from further away from the opening as opposed to sides of the opening which is what all other openings do.

Ron Rutter
27th September 2015, 03:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation Paul. Lets hops it can at least act as a reminder to others to do something about dust.

Those kitchen vent fans (even the high end ones) might "feel" like they move a lot of air but my measurements show that they don't move anywhere near the amount of air needed to deal with. They are Ok for general shed ventilation but to grab wood dust "at the source" the air flow has to be be at least 1000 cfm which those kitchen fans are not.

To better grab wood dust collection from wood turning a bell mouth hood is recommend since it collects air (and fine dust) from further away from the opening as opposed to sides of the opening which is what all other openings do.

Paul. BobL is correct. An 8" pipe is not bad but going to say a 12" square tapered slows down the velocity & picks up the fines over a wider area and you do need higher CFM.
Everyone should check out the Bill Pentz website for the best info I know of re dust collection & the design of same.

I can appreciate your problem & concern. I am 81 & suffer from emphysema & chronic bronchitis. I have a pick-up close behind, an air cleaner overhead & always wear a good cartridge type respirator. Cheers. Ron.

Chris Parks
27th September 2015, 11:20 PM
I am sorry to hear of your woes but it is all too common. I spoke to dozens of sufferers while selling CV Cyclones and even some wives whose husbands did not want admit they had a problem. Let it be a warning to others, budget for an effective dust extractor that removes the dust from the shed before buying any machines as the sheds we build are dust traps and we need to recognise that fact. I have seen tradesmen forced to give up their living because they did not think it would get them but it always does. Best of luck with your problems and I hope it does not become too onerous.

Mobyturns
28th September 2015, 08:27 AM
I have seen tradesmen forced to give up their living because they did not think it would get them but it always does. Best of luck with your problems and I hope it does not become too onerous.

My Dad was one of them. Started off as a wood machinist but had to give that away very early due to asthma etc. Hopefully with OHS and more awareness of the health issues the younger generation of wood workers will not experience the health problems. Unfortunately I don't think that it will be the case though as compliance is seen as avoiding being caught & fined - not as protecting ones long term health.

We were all young, 10 foot tall & bullet proof once, now we are silly old buggers who don't know anything. :U

TrickinWood
28th September 2015, 02:04 PM
Sorry to hear of the issues.

My partner went out and bought me some dust masks, but they tend to fog my glasses, and/or become very hot for me.

When $$ permit, I will be buying the 2HP dual feed Carbatec Dust Extractor. Just like back, you only get 1 life.

BobL
28th September 2015, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear of the issues.

My partner went out and bought me some dust masks, but they tend to fog my glasses, and/or become very hot for me.

When $$ permit, I will be buying the 2HP dual feed Carbatec Dust Extractor. Just like back, you only get 1 life.

When you do you might want to read this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=171247