PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest holder (banjo) repair

Yanis
28th September 2015, 03:02 PM
While I was trying to turn down a blank I cut out of a log I broke my tool rest holder. It is a cheapish lathe but functional and the holder was cast iron and it snapped down the center. When I held it together I noticed that the base of the holder was twisted, whether it twisted before it broke or it was always twisted I do not know but I had all sorts of issues securing it so I suspect that it was twisted before it broke and just not noticed it.

I still have the parts and I have a MIG so my thought was to fabricate a new holder from the remaining parts. Anybody done this or have any suggestions?

John

KBs PensNmore
28th September 2015, 03:39 PM
Hi John, have made a few of these over the years, very simple to make. 2 pieces of flat bar 15 X 10, a piece of hollow bar the size to suit the shaft of the tool rest. Weld the flat bar so that it's 15mm high with a gap to suit the hold down device. onto the hollow bar and a short piece across the back. If you have difficulty getting a bit of hollow bar or drilling the size required, I reckon The Nutter a member on here should be able to help you as he lives close by to you.
Kryn

Yanis
28th September 2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks Kryn, sound like a plan.

John

Yanis
4th October 2015, 12:56 AM
Using Kryn's advice I fabricated this today from pieces of scrap. Works like a bought one.

Parts list

Two lengths of 15mm square bar
Two pieces cut from a length of 5mmx75mm flat
Short piece cut from 3/4" water pipe
10mm nut

The nut was welded over a 10mm hole on the water pipe to take the toolrest securing screw. I cleaned out the thread with a 10mm tap after welding it into place. The rest should be plain from the photos. I am really happy with the way it turned out.

Yanis
4th October 2015, 10:36 AM
Full story at my blog (http://hancockshardwarehouse.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/wood-lathe-tool-holder-repair.html).

hughie
4th October 2015, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=Yanis;1900358]Using Kryn's advice I fabricated this today from pieces of scrap. Works like a bought one.

Parts list

Two lengths of 15mm square bar
Two pieces cut from a length of 5mmx75mm flat
Short piece cut from 3/4" water pipe
10mm nut

The nut was welded over a 10mm hole on the water pipe to take the toolrest securing screw. I cleaned out the thread with a 10mm tap after welding it into place. The rest should be plain from the photos. I am really happy with the way it turned out.

/QUOTE]

You might find 15 mm sq bar too flimsy. I use 40 or 50 by 10 mm flat bar on edge. If I have to go below 40 I increase the width to 12 mm.

Paul39
5th October 2015, 03:25 AM
Yanis,

Very nice. You might want to clean up the welds a bit more with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel chucked in a drill, or by hand. Feel everything carefully and round off any sharp places.

I maybe more sensitive than most because I'm an 76 year old geezer who takes a blood thinner, the slightest scratch and I bleed like a stuck pig.

Yanis
5th October 2015, 09:23 AM
You might find 15 mm sq bar too flimsy. I use 40 or 50 by 10 mm flat bar on edge. If I have to go below 40 I increase the width to 12 mm.

Thanks for the advice. The 15mm is what I had at hand and it is only a mid sized lathe and is stronger than the old one. If it is too flimsy I'll reinforce it but I suspect it will be fine for what I do. It is not that long either.

John

Yanis
5th October 2015, 09:25 AM
Yanis,

Very nice. You might want to clean up the welds a bit more ...

You noticed my "professional" welding. :C If I find them annoying I'll clean them up. I usually clean up the outside as I did here.

John