PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest failure.

Mobyturns
30th September 2015, 09:39 AM
Have a look at this clip,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=U8tqr48Ir_I

Pretty nasty near miss from a tool rest failure. I bet the turner changed his underwear after that one.

dai sensei
2nd October 2015, 08:44 AM
:o:C

hughie
2nd October 2015, 09:45 AM
darn the pin broke, not something you see everyday.I have broken a few tool-rests but never there.

dr4g0nfly
4th October 2015, 08:47 AM
I managed to break the one that came with my current lathe - within a couple of weeks.

It was a Cast Iron rest and yes I was working too far from the post meaning I probably had an awful lot of torsion acting on it.

It led me to having a couple made from steel rod and bar, welded together at a local engineering works. The longest is 7" not 12", so a lot less chance of applying too much effort in the wrong place.

hughie
4th October 2015, 11:14 PM
I managed to break the one that came with my current lathe - within a couple of weeks.

It was a Cast Iron rest and yes I was working too far from the post meaning I probably had an awful lot of torsion acting on it.

It led me to having a couple made from steel rod and bar, welded together at a local engineering works. The longest is 7" not 12", so a lot less chance of applying too much effort in the wrong place.
Pretty much what I do now myself.