PDA

View Full Version : goblet

dennisk
30th September 2015, 02:04 PM
made for a competition,to give some competition for Dalboy. done is spalted birch, wenge and quilted cherry. a lot of work, but a lot of fun.its 245 high and 85 at the rim and 70 at the base. the wenge is tenoned into the base and cup. finished with a wipe on water based urethane while lathe was turning. first time for the finish, might have to experiment with it a bit.360652360653360654360655

smiife
30th September 2015, 08:51 PM
made or a competition,to give some competition for Dalboy. done is spalted birch, wenge and quilted cherry. a lot of work, but a lot of fun.its 245 high and 85 at the rim and 70 at the base. the wenge is tenoned into the base and cup. finished with a wipe on water based urethane while lathe was turning. first time for the finish, might have to experiment with it a bit.360652360653360654360655

Hi dennisk,
Looks great, the finish looks good, my only
criticism would be the hole In the bottom,
maybe you could dish It in a bit to make the
base lighter looking , hope you don, t mind
my thoughts on It, good luck with the competition:2tsup:

Dalboy
30th September 2015, 11:04 PM
To be honest dennisk this is the one I thought would take the first place. A very well turned and finished piece:2tsup:

Christos
1st October 2015, 02:24 PM
I like this piece as I think the splatting makes it really stand out.

Keith_1
1st October 2015, 08:05 PM
Hi dennisk,

A really, really nice goblet.

Well Done:2tsup:

Keith

Nanigai
1st October 2015, 09:43 PM
Excellent job Dennis, love that spalted birch. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Keep up the good work mate.
Cheers, Ian

dennisk
2nd October 2015, 01:22 PM
Thanks for comments , I want to comment on the hole in the bottom . It is an indent so i could mount it between centers, using a cone. I had "what you call, painted myself into a bit of a corner" and had put the indent in there to help clean up the outside of the bottom. Normally I leave a bit of a tit(can i say that?) on the bottom, but I was in a hurry and with minutes to spare, couldnt figure out a way the get rid of the indent. The cup is 1/16" and didnt want to risk it in the cole jaws, or a jam chuck. Any ideas out there? thanks again for all the comments. Really enjoy this site.

Mobyturns
2nd October 2015, 09:10 PM
couldnt figure out a way the get rid of the indent.

Nice goblet! Excellent work. :2tsup:

As your goblet is built up from various components its actually easier to finish off the bottom. I usually make my linear laminated goblets in two pieces, cup and stem/base.

At times I start the stem blank between centers and make a chuck tenon on the cup end of the stem.
Mount the stem blank in a chuck and then turn & finish the bottom (tail stock end).
Once I'm happy with the bottom I reduce as much waste on the stem as I can while its still mounted in the chuck.
I then make a jamb chuck and reverse the stem blank with the base into the jamb chuck, holding it between the jamb chuck & a small live center.
Turn the stem profile and make a small 5 or 6 mm tenon on the cup end of the stem. Sand & finish the stem as much as is possible.
turn the goblet cup etc with a matching 5 or 6 mm mortise.
I usually have to reverse and jamb the goblet cup to finish it, so glue up is usually done with the cup in the jamb chuck and the stem carefully centered with the cone center in my small live center.

Other times I like to turn & finish the base/stem with the blank secured in a chuck and turned with the base orientated at the tail stock end. I use a dab of hot melt glue on a small cone shaped live center to "center" the stem/base on the tail stock ende as I finish the stem profile and part off leaving the 5 or 6 mm tenon. In the pic above you can still see the residue from the hot melt glue on the center detain on the base.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=194632&highlight=sneak+peek

Hope this helps. :)