PDA

View Full Version : SQ 48 Box Lids

WaggaSteve
7th October 2015, 06:46 PM
Turned my first lidded boxes the other day and whilst they weren't great, like a dad with the ugly kid, I was quite proud of them. As I watched them over next few days, I realised the finish could have been much better on one (fairly dry camphor) and the lid tighter on the other (fairly wet paperbark) so took them down to the shed to have a play at clean up when I got a chance. Both finished with sanding sealer then EEE followed by canabru(sp) wax. Shed is 40' x 40', open front and about 1/2k from the ocean. Camphor laurel one (used to be a good fit is now a bit tight and paperbark doesnt need tightening (can now lift box by the lid). I am assuming this is exposure to moisture. Is this just a "live with it thing" or is there a finish (or anything else) I can use that will help. The camphor laurel was pretty dry and had been in the shed the whole time I was in Africa so I would have thought acclimatised after 7 years
TIA
Steve

turnerted
8th October 2015, 04:40 PM
Steve
Did you turn them crossgrain or endgrain ? If crossgrain they are much more likely to move .
Ted

powderpost
8th October 2015, 10:00 PM
Not a bad idea to rough turn your boxes and leave the in a corner for a month, then finish them off. Wood will continue to move along with the change in the weather even though it has a finish coat applied.

Jim