PDA

View Full Version : roof finials

chuck1
23rd October 2015, 10:22 AM
Only worked 1 day this week. Wife went to hospital.
anyway had to turn 3 finials 90 by 90 and 1750 long over all. Top was missing on sample so a bit of artistic license was used.
Thanks for looking.

dai sensei
23rd October 2015, 05:53 PM
Nicely turned but the pine isn't going to last long

artful bodger
23rd October 2015, 08:04 PM
Hi Chuck, Would have been nice to see what the pointy ends looked like. On the end.
Turning looks first rate as usual.
Hope your wife is ok.
Radiata will last for a long time with paint on it.
In fact I have a radiata cutting block that I've had for over 20 years. It gets washed up all the time and is still as good as it was years ago.

chuck1
23rd October 2015, 09:12 PM
The original had a ball I was told.
It's LOSP treated pine and it had 2 coats of lanox? Wood treatment before it left the shop.
I would like to have them made with different Timber but the boss calls the shots so, I'm done suggesting an alternative.

She is on the mend.
thanks guys!

Mobyturns
24th October 2015, 07:47 AM
The original had a ball I was told.
It's LOSP treated pine and it had 2 coats of lanox? Wood treatment before it left the shop.
I would like to have them made with different Timber but the boss calls the shots so, I'm done suggesting an alternative.

She is on the mend.
thanks guys!

Surprising how long ordinary untreated but painted pine lasts in exposed environments. I have made a few replacements over the years. Seems that if they crack or the paint goes on the end grain they go fast. Seen quite a few sets where only one in the four or so fitted to the house fails & the others are still OK. Often the customer asks to just fix up the old one rather than make a whole new one. Make a part & dowel. They think they are saving money but in reality there is not much difference in time & cost as you often have to purchase the length of stock in any case.

Oh - my apology great spindle turning btw.

brendan stemp
25th October 2015, 11:34 AM
nice work

dennisk
25th October 2015, 02:59 PM
I like them, are they designed for looks or is there a witch catching thing about them? I saw something similar in Norway and my buddy said it goes back years, kind of a spikey finial in the ends of the roof, to stop the witches from landing on the roof. Might have been the aquavit as well.