PDA

View Full Version : Anton Gerner's Glue

Auld Bassoon
2nd August 2005, 09:30 PM
G'day all,

Has anyone here had any experience in using Anton Gerner's 202GF glue? (see: http://www.antongerner.com.au/202gf.html)

Cheers!

NewLou
2nd August 2005, 09:35 PM
Yup is great stuff!!! also Gap Fills!!! I've been Using it for 12 months so far and no complaints at this stage!!!.............supposedly dosent creep either n is up there with the rest in the strength department!!!

REgards Lou

joez
2nd August 2005, 09:54 PM
NewLou

Can you explain the Gap filling bit? Does it expand when drying??

Thanks
Joe

NewLou
2nd August 2005, 10:01 PM
Joe I'm no Industrial Chemist and certainly don't profess to be an expert on Glues..............

Check out the Website Posted Earlier........................

And heres a good Little Article on the use of WoodGlues:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/useglue.html

REgards Lou

Sturdee
2nd August 2005, 11:35 PM
I've been using it for about 18 months and it is great and quick setting, if I glue something up before lunch usually I can work on it after lunch.

Peter.

IanW
3rd August 2005, 09:28 AM
NewLou

Can you explain the Gap filling bit? Does it expand when drying??

Thanks
Joe

No, it doesn't expand. It's just a souped-up PVA glue with resin particles as the 'gap-filler' bit. (I think that's right - reading from memory of their blurb when it first came out many moons ago...)

I've been using it for at least 18? yrs. It's a good glue, quick initial drying and the dark colour blends better in some woods. It does work a bit better than straight PVA on less-than-perfect joints, but it's still a thermo-plastic, and it WILL creep, especially when warm, and it has the same limited shelf life of PVA glues (circa 12 months here in S.E. Qld.). Have had failures due to using it past its best-by time, and also on southern Silky Oak, for reasons I don't understand, but suspect some S.O. and PVAs are incompatible, because I've had that experience with a few different formulas. So neither situation is the fault of the glue, per se.
It's not recommended for high-stress situations (chair seats, and any joint liable to dynamic loads, etc.)

It's good policy to work like you don't need gap-filling glues. The best joints will always come from clean, close-fitting wood, whatever the glue.
Yes, grandfather...... :rolleyes:

joez
3rd August 2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info Ianw, I think a give it a try.

Joe

Gumby
3rd August 2005, 09:58 AM
I've been using it for about 18 months and it is great and quick setting, if I glue something up before lunch usually I can work on it after lunch.Peter.

Watch out you don't drop any in your sandwich :D

Sturdee
3rd August 2005, 05:27 PM
Watch out you don't drop any in your sandwich :D

No problems there, I don't eat in the workshop. :D

Peter.