PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry Bowl that didn't go according to plan

ogato
3rd November 2015, 11:19 PM
I usually just lurk in the background but Smiffie's prompting encouraged me to post something. Thanks mate!!

Funny how things turn out sometimes. . . .
While I was pretty happy with how this Mulberry bowl turned out, it bears absolutely no resemblance at all to the vision I had when I placed the chunk of wood on the lathe.
The forecast was a traditional shaped bowl, nice and round at the base, rising to a narrower opening at the top. The endgrain was showing a few cracks so I thought I'd lose a bit of wood. However as I progressed with roughing and rounding, they just kept on going. So my nice round base became a much thinner stem. Still managed to get a bit of a bowl at the top, and retained some of the natural bark edge.
It was turned green and rather than roughing and putting the blank away to dry as I often do, thought I’d have a go at turning it thin (or thin-ish) and letting nature take its course.
It warped a bit, and some parts thinned up more than others. When sufficiently dry after about 4 weeks, I hand-sanded to 400, then finished with Kunos. 170mm across at the top, and stands 115mm high
Plenty of drama in the wood, lovely golden and cream tones – the finished wood is lovely and smooth to the touch, but also beautifully textured in the ‘burly’ sections.
Jeff

Facebook: Jeff Fraser - Woodturner

mark david
3rd November 2015, 11:40 PM
Nice work Jeff.
I suppose this little beauty was trapped inside that block of wood just waiting for you to release her.
It may not have turned out as you initially envisaged it but sometimes the most spontaneous pieces turn out the best.

cava
3rd November 2015, 11:49 PM
Whilst not planned, it actually looks very nice. :2tsup:

Faulko
4th November 2015, 12:12 PM
Looks great.

Toymaker Len
4th November 2015, 03:00 PM
Beautiful bowl and well photographed too.

turnerted
4th November 2015, 04:00 PM
Looks nice Jeff . Looks like it's just waiting for a small bird to come for a bath .
Ted

ogato
4th November 2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys - nice when a very modified plan comes together . . .

smiife
4th November 2015, 07:43 PM
Hi jeff,
I am very glad I prompted you to post!!
Can, t imagine why you wouldn, t want to show
us your work,, it looks great , the colours and grain
patterns are nice, and it looks well finished.
Well done,,:2tsup::2tsup:

ogato
4th November 2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks Smiife, love the positivity

Jeff

Thylacene
4th November 2015, 11:14 PM
I looked at the pictures before I read the text and thought "what a beautiful piece", while the back story is interesting, you should be delighted with producing such a unique item. Its not all about geometric perfection. Personally I think it is a stunning piece.

ogato
5th November 2015, 08:04 AM
I looked at the pictures before I read the text and thought "what a beautiful piece", while the back story is interesting, you should be delighted with producing such a unique item. Its not all about geometric perfection. Personally I think it is a stunning piece.

Thanks for that - for me, it's all about the wood, and luckily I found a really nice piece.

Jeff

orraloon
5th November 2015, 12:11 PM
As others have said a good looking piece. Strange how things can end up. I like mulberry as a turning wood and as you have noted it takes a nice finish. Never turned it wet either but dry it is quite hard and still cuts well with very little tareout. Never had a large enough chunk for a bowl but have a few turning tools with mulberry handles and a vice handle also.
Regards
John

Christos
5th November 2015, 12:48 PM
It has come up quite nice.

I am glad that you have posted this. The story behind this also gives us an insight to the way you were thinking when turning this piece. :2tsup:

AngelaPetruzzi
19th November 2015, 10:48 AM
What a beautiful piece of work.

ogato
20th November 2015, 06:47 PM
What a beautiful piece of work.

Thanks Angela - must have been the finish on it that made the difference.

Jeff

AngelaPetruzzi
2nd December 2015, 11:37 AM
Would love to think that Jeff, but without the craftsmanship behind the piece there wouldn't be a use for the finish.