PDA

View Full Version : No more VL175 so what now?

QuarkVI
4th November 2015, 07:39 PM
So last year I started a thread re the Nova DVR-XP vs Vicmarc VL175 ...

The clear winner was the VL175 so I started saving my pennies. Fast forward and here I am with some savings and wanting to plan for my Christmas present when I realise the VL175 is no more. So once more I find myself looking to the forum for some advice ...

What I currently have
a Nova TL1500

What I think I want
- definitely EVS and probably the biggest reason for wanting a new lathe
- ability to go as low as 150-200 rpm for doing thread chasing
- ability to extend the bed or have a long enough bed to do spindles for chairs/tables
- some way to get the tailstock out of way when hollowing e.g. long enough bed, swing away gadget of some sort. Removing and replacing the tailstock is last option.
- swivel head to simplify hollowing and gives extra capacity for the once in a blue moon big platters
- ability to relocate start/stop/speed to right hand side of lathe (would consider diy options here), I feel a lot more comfortable/safe having this option.

Kind of work I want to do
- furniture spindles
- small vessels and boxes
- other smaller scale work e.g. David Springett and Bill Jones
- some bigger ~30cm diameter bowls/vessels (my son will be doing more of this but he isn't serious about wood turning yet)

What I have been looking at
- 2nd Hand Vicmarc: not really an option in NZ, never seen one for sale.
- Nova DVR-XP: very popular here in NZ but I don't like how the speed control works via steps up and down as opposed to a simple knob. also no way to relocate controls that I am aware of
- Nova Comet II: compromise would be on the capacity but I can get for sub NZ$1000 including chuck so value for money is a pro. Can't go slow enough for thread chasing, 250 rpm minimum.
- Hare & Forbes WL46A: missing a swivel head but seems to be good value for money and decent quality. I won't be able to inspect in person so a bit fearful over quality of alignment and quality of banjo/rest etc. Mostly afraid due to bulk build nature but a number of people on forum seem to have had a very good experience
- Vicmarc VL240 EVS: just too expensive for me for a while yet especially if needing to add a bed extension.
- Vicmarc VL150 EVS: value for money not quite there for me as pricey for a smaller lathe with no way to turn bigger things. Would need to DIY moving the controls.
- Harvey T-40: came across this by complete accident and seems to be the closest to the VL175 (http://www.tendotools.com/nl/houtbewerking/draaibanken/draaibanken/harvey-houtdraaibank-turbo-t-40.html, http://www.woodworkinghq.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=246) Pricey again, would need a bed extension and DIY for moving controls
- Adding EVS to the TL1500: guessing this would cost about NZ$1500 to be done well. Would leave me with a banjo mechanism that isn't great but liveable. Also the head rotating mechanism is a bear to get aligned when returning to inline so usually more effort that I care for when doing boxes.

I really wanted the Nova Comet II to be able to go slower as the lower price and smaller footprint would mean some space saving in the shed and money to buy a bandsaw (for resawing for my other woodwork - life is too short to resaw by hand). I know it wouldn't be my last lathe but I think what I get for the price is quite fair. I really like the look/function of the Harvey but it is a relative unknown to me for quite a bit of money. Hesitation on the WL46A is all about confidence in the brand as for the money, if it is decent quality, it has the other options beat. So it seems it is between the WL46A and upgrading my TL1500.

What say you? Any other lathe's I should add to the list? A factor I have missed?

Appreciate the input.
regards
Robin
Christchurch, New Zealand

smiife
4th November 2015, 07:56 PM
Hi robin,
Being in nz.i would have thought you couldn, t go past
the local nova ? I have a woodfast and i think it only goes
down to 300rpm but it is possible to do threads on it!

Big Shed
4th November 2015, 08:18 PM
If my Hafco WL46 was stolen tomorrow I would go out and buy another one and that is after owning and using it for more than 5 years.

Swivel head not needed as you slide the whole head to the tailstock end and use the optional bowl turning attachment (which I have).

When I bought mine I did a very extensive survey of available lathes and kept coming back to the WL46.

Usable low speed 2 range EVS, excellent accuracy in lining up of headstock and tailstock and virtually no run out.

There is a thread on mine here.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=115302&highlight=wl46

powderpost
4th November 2015, 09:09 PM
Have you considered a Woodfast M305 midi lathe? The variable speed version is a bit expensive but the belt change model is a lot cheaper. The bottom speed is ideal for thread chasing.

Jim

Mobyturns
5th November 2015, 06:25 AM
A 30 cm bowl is not going to happen on a Nova Comet 2 or Vicmarc VL150 lathe, they will take up to a 30 cm diameter round blank though.

I have the Vicmarc VL150 lathe which I ordered with an extension bed. Overall its not a cheap package when you compare it's specifications to something like a Woodfast M910 lathe. The VL150 is a nice package - well refined & super smooth for my small spindle turnings.

Have a look at the Woodfast M910 lathe or the C1000.

QuarkVI
7th November 2015, 08:06 AM
FYI ...
Just came across this EVS unit locally which goes for NZ$900
http://www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz/products/-Variable-Speed-drive-unit-and-motor-for-woodlathes-.html

so now have to decide whether I save and go for better lathe or live with limitations of the TL1500 but have EVS :U

Has anyone done a bearing change on a TL1500? Reckon I might as well do that as well if upgrading the motor.

issatree
7th November 2015, 10:22 AM
Hi Robin,
We got caught out as we didn't make our minds up quick enough, & by the time we wanted a 175, had to go for the VL200.

I bought a SEW Eurodrive Inverter Box that wood take 2HP, + obtained a 3PH Motor for, wood you believe $5, + a Slab for the Leckie.
So all up it cost me just under $AU500. You can get the next SEIB, but that was approx $600. Mine only has a readout of Hertz, but I can work out the Speed OK, as it is to slow or just fast enough, being 3000RPM. Just the way I like it.