PDA

View Full Version : ? Screws for Securing Jaws to Teknatool Nova Chucks ?

RoyG
11th November 2015, 04:15 PM
Greetings,

Does anyone know where to buy replacements for the screws that hold jaws onto a Teknatool SuperNova 2 Chuck. Somehow, I've managed to loose one screw, and I don't have any spares. :~

On the p363323arts diagram shown in the adjacent picture (Double Click to see a copy that is big enough to read), the screws are identified as Item # 10 - Part No CM 501018?. The screws are allen socket head countersunk screws.

I've checked with Carbatec, and don't have them as a normally stocked item, "because all the Teknatool chucks have a set of screws included". They are checking with Teknatool to see whether they can buy them individually as a spare part.

I tried Blackwoods in Ipswich this morning, and we managed to find a suitable machine screw out of their range. However, the bloke at Blackwoods had a close look at the sample screw that I had with me, and made two observations:

Looking closely at the countersink angle on the Teknatool screws, the countersink looks "flatter" than a normal countersink screw. We had no way of measuring the countersink angle, so when we came to the conclusion that the countersink may be "flatter" than normal, that was based only on using a Mk 1 Eyeball; so I remain to be convinced that the countersink angle on the Teknatool screws is anything out of the ordinary.
After trying to scratch the sample screw with a sharp stanley knife, we came to the conclusion that the Teknatool screws are probably hardened or high tensile. The Teknatool screws could only barely be scratched by the knife blade, whereas the mild steel screws that Blackwoods had in stock were easily scratched by comparison. Using a high tensile screw to hold the jaws on does sort of make sense.

So - have any other Nova Chuck Owners managed to buy replacement screws for their chucks, and if so, where from ?

Regards,

RoyG

nosnow
11th November 2015, 04:40 PM
It s funny as i purchased a set from Carbatec a few years ago before they rearranged there layout
the link below is for teknatools chucks page 7 has the screws as a spare
Cheers Rod

http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/10912_Nova%20Chuck%208pp_web.pdf

RoyG
11th November 2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that. I'll hit Carbatec up with that part number this afternoon and see if they've got that kit of screws in stock.

Thanks,

RoyG

Pat
11th November 2015, 05:33 PM
Jim Carroll here (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/nova-supernova-titan-jaw-screw)

ian
11th November 2015, 05:58 PM
Hi Roy

at Blackwoods were you looking at screws or machine screws.
I believe there is a difference in the countersink angle between the two types

smiife
11th November 2015, 07:32 PM
Jim Carroll here (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/nova-supernova-titan-jaw-screw)

Hi roy, pat, s right ....:whs:I got a spare set recently from jim

Mobyturns
11th November 2015, 08:31 PM
Vicmarc use standard sizes but for some reason Nova do not & they are hard to come by off the shelf.

KBs PensNmore
11th November 2015, 11:34 PM
The threads are a standard 6mm, it's the size of the countersunk head/angle that is different, 10.2 X 82 degrees as versus 11.7 X 90 degrees standard.
Regarding the why, probably like Caterpillar, as they make their own bolts, you have to buy their spare parts, good business sense.
Kryn

BobL
11th November 2015, 11:59 PM
I bought a couple of dozen M6 tensile allen bolts and started to turn the heads to fit.
After doing this on a few heads I realised there's more than enough recess without bothering with the CS component to register the screws/jaws correctly .
On my home made jaws I just use recessed M6 allen bolts.

RoyG
12th November 2015, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the help. Now that I've found the correct part number for Teknatool's Set of Replacement Chuck Screws (SKU: NSFK), Carbatec have said that they have them in stock.

The neighbour is going down to Carbatec in Brisbane today to pick some new toy that he's bought, so he'll pick up a set of the replacement screws while he's there.

Problem solved .... Thanks.

RoyG