PDA

View Full Version : Shaftless Cast US Desert Ironwood Burl

dai sensei
14th November 2015, 04:13 PM
Been casting up some timber in Gold Rich and Silver Rich powders - see http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=199994

Here's the final Shaftless Crushgrind Pepper Grinder using Desert Ironwood (Olneya tesota) from the USA.

363555 363554 363553 363552

Basically made in 3 parts, a base, top and cap. The top and base glue together encapsulating the mechanism. The cap is removed to fill it and has silicon O-rings to seal and keep in place

TongueTied
14th November 2015, 05:31 PM
Thank looks stunning! A question for you. Is the epoxy resin you used food safe and if so, which one is it? I've been using the West Systems one but can't find anything on whether cured epoxy is food safe.

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 08:52 PM
yes I like it too.

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

dai sensei
15th November 2015, 11:26 AM
Thank looks stunning! A question for you. Is the epoxy resin you used food safe and if so, which one is it? I've been using the West Systems one but can't find anything on whether cured epoxy is food safe.

This one is Polyester resin, but I use a number of different casting epoxies, none of the casting resins are described as food safe. Once set they should be fine, but like a lot of timbers I use there are no guarantees, so I coat all the insides of my pepper grinders with a minimum of 2 coats of Hard Shellac that is food safe to put my mind at ease.

hughie
15th November 2015, 04:48 PM
Looks real good to me. :2tsup:

smiife
15th November 2015, 05:03 PM
Hi neil,
Very nice mate, Is there a salt grinder in process too ?

Sawdust Maker
15th November 2015, 07:46 PM
super cool

dai sensei
16th November 2015, 02:45 PM
Hi neil,
Very nice mate, Is there a salt grinder in process too ?

No mate, I don't have any more decent chunks of the Desert Ironwood, only pen blank sized stuff. The cast Coolibah will be a set though in the larger sized grinder with shaft.

maddog 62
18th November 2015, 10:31 PM
Neil
great stuff
i always thought the the poly resins didnt stick to timber etc all that well to use it a situation like you have just done
clearly i an way wrong, again
like i said great stuff
cheers Tony

brendan stemp
19th November 2015, 08:28 AM
Looking good Neil, I like your design.