PDA

View Full Version : NG Rosewood Bowl

Christos
24th November 2015, 07:44 PM
I had some NG Rosewood for about two years now sitting on the shelf. I thought it was about time to use more if this. It cuts very smoothly so very easy to shape.

I think the profile is a little too steep towards the bottom end. I should have rounded it a little more. Next bowl I make from that piece of Rosewood. :U

364291 364292 364293

Maybe I should have done a little bit of an under cut to lift the bottom.

What do you guys think? All comments are welcome.

smiife
24th November 2015, 08:04 PM
I had some nG rosewood for about two years now sitting on the shelf. I thought it was about time to use more if this. It cuts very smoothly so very easy to shape.

I think the profile is a little too steep towards the bottom end. I should have rounded it a little more. Next bowl I make from that piece of Rosewood. :U

Maybe I should have done a little bit of an under cut to lift the bottom.
What do you guys think? All comments are welcome.

Hi christos,
I think It looks nice, but you seem to have some doubt about it !
If you have enough thickness In the base you could still change
the foot/base, what size Is it ? and take a photo of it sitting flat
on a solid surface this will give an Idea of how the foot would
look, turn a small ring/foot and put underneath, take a photo
again and compare , or just leave It alone for a few days and
see If it grows on you!:U

Bluegum
24th November 2015, 09:47 PM
Hi Christos.

mate I like it. I think you've done a good job. As woodies, we're self critical because we made it and we know where our faults are. I'm the same when I turn things up. I get people telling me how good it is even though I think there are faults in it. I just do what I enjoy doing.

Paul39
25th November 2015, 03:01 AM
Nice shape, nice figure, nicely finished bottom, I would leave it alone.

Try something different next time.

For some design ideas look at the photos here:

http://www.mintmuseum.org/mason/masonsite/artistindex.html

Not to copy, but to see how others have handled the foot, or the curve of the outside, or the straight side, or the undercut, etc.

After you look at a bunch of vessels, it almost instinctively guides you to make a pleasing form. Go to the housewares department of stores and look at bowls and plates.

I have also found that if I make a piece with which I'm not particularly pleased, when it is put in the craft shop someone buys it, sometimes quicker than one that really pleases me.

Picko
25th November 2015, 06:56 AM
I like it. Particularly the way you finished the base.

wheelinround
25th November 2015, 01:35 PM
Well done Christos NGR is nice to turn and comes up a treat. I like the shape and style you've produced ideal chip/cracker dip bowl or nuts nibbles as you can drag crackers ad fingers up easy :2tsup::2tsup:

Worst you get with NGR is silica which blunts tools very quick not a problem for you as all yours need sharpening anyway :q

Christos
26th November 2015, 07:12 AM
Worst you get with NGR is silica which blunts tools very quick not a problem for you as all yours need sharpening anyway :q

O so very true. I will have to drop in on a fellow I know to reshape the profile.:U

Sawdust Maker
26th November 2015, 07:35 AM
O so very true. I will have to drop in on a fellow I know to reshape the profile.:U

I'm away that weekend!

Christos
26th November 2015, 09:37 PM
:innocent:

I'm away that weekend!

Weekday then.

Sawdust Maker
26th November 2015, 11:05 PM
:innocent:

Weekday then.

lol