PDA

View Full Version : Options for hollowing boxes/ornaments

QuarkVI
9th December 2015, 07:32 PM
Was wanting to canvas some opinions on the best options for hollowing boxes and ornaments i.e. smaller scale items. As per usual there seems to be a gazillion different ways advertised. Have started playing with some scrapers but they seem a bit rough in terms of finish as well as control but that may be me needing practice. I have had the chance at my club to use a smaller easy wood hollower which worked a treat on an oak end grain box

That all being said the options I have managed to find seem to be

Hunter #1 straight and shoulder tools or similar (not sure if 6mm or 8mm carbide rounds better suited - assume much of a muchness)
Scrapers - have ordered some 12mm square hss to grind my own. Still would have issues with ornament shoulders.
Oland style tools e.g. hollowing tools (http://www.fromthetree.co.uk/hollowing-tools.html)

I don't know whether I am being overly optimistic about what I could do with the Oland style tools - I am able to make these myself so there is a cheaper initial outlay but that not worth it if they are a struggle to use. The carbide tools have a high initial price but aliexpress makes the replacement bits vaguely affordable and I was impressed with my one off use (but I had been trying to use a bowl gouge on the end grain to that point).

So what have the box/ornament makers out there found to be the best?

Thanks
Robin

smiife
9th December 2015, 08:33 PM
Hi robin,
Depends on the size of box?,, I have just used
a forstner bit sometimes, I think a sharp scraper
is the best for inside a box, your right they can
be a bit rough but if you take off the burr they
are less aggressive, using what you feel comfortable
with is probably best, I think it doesn, t matter how
you get it done as long as you happy with end result:;

Mobyturns
9th December 2015, 09:25 PM
Guilio Marcolongo uses a skew chisel as a scraper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_UXcBlkoA4 jump to the 38' mark.

artful bodger
10th December 2015, 10:31 PM
Perhaps you could show us what you are aiming to make? A simple drawing would do.

QuarkVI
11th December 2015, 05:25 AM
At this point busy ensuring I have everything in place for my holiday projects as I have 3 weeks leave coming up (yay!). Plan is to make a few "typical" christmas ornaments i.e. hollowed ball with icicle/finial below and I also received a copy of Chris Stott's book of 50 boxes that I want to start working through.

Guilio's video was quite interesting and I should be able to convert a piece of HSS into a skew. Just been wondering whether the hunter tools are any better as Christmas would be a good excuse for getting a "gift". But I also realise I need to stick to one technique and get the hang of it - was hoping there was one method that most accept as best for end-grain work. Also wanting to get the best possible finish off the tool, which is where my scraper experimenting has been unsatisfactory, besides not liking sanding I am still working on my dust extraction (wear a proper mask but the wife's car gets covered) as the shopvac+cyclone doesn't catch everything.

Have seen the converted allen key tools etc. but just cautious of saving a couple of $ and getting a lesser result/outcome. Usual noob problem of differentiating between where I am lacking skill vs not using the "right" tool.

artful bodger
11th December 2015, 06:52 AM
The traditional way of hollowing out end grain is a sharp detail gouge. IMHO, The best way to learn is to watch someone who knows the right technique.

Oldgreybeard
11th December 2015, 08:07 AM
At this point busy ensuring I have everything in place for my holiday projects as I have 3 weeks leave coming up (yay!). Plan is to make a few "typical" christmas ornaments i.e. hollowed ball with icicle/finial below and I also received a copy of Chris Stott's book of 50 boxes that I want to start working through.

I completed the 50 boxes from Chris's book 12 months ago. I used a 10mm bowl gouge, 12 wide scraper and a small gooseneck HSS tipped scraper for hollowing. The 10mm gouge was used for the outside turning.

I can get a photo of the tools later today if you would like.

Bob

Mobyturns
11th December 2015, 08:29 AM
I do a fair bit of work (concentric rings) with my spin tops which is similar to making a straight sided box. I use a box scraper similar to this Woodturning - a box (http://www.turningtools.co.uk/projects/box/box.html) however mine has a square side and end without the skewed faces Brian uses.

The box scraper is sharpened on the end and LH face with a 75 to 80 degree side & end bevels but maintains the 90 degree between (plan view) between side and end faces. I have two one from 6 mm or 1/4" HSS (McJing) and another from a 19 mm or 3/4" Robert Sorby HSS square ended scraper. The skewed faces relative to the blank axis are handy for box making however the square faces are essential for the alignment of and cutting of parallel sided or very slightly tapered mortise / tennon rings.