PDA

View Full Version : Turning scale model wooden wheels

hornpout
11th December 2015, 02:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if they make a special turning chisel to make the face on a wheel for a scale model to make it look like a real tire .I do it know but the side of the tire is flat they sell wheels but i like making my own i have a picture thanks

crowie
11th December 2015, 03:37 PM
This may help "hornpout" though not a specific special tool....Cheers, crowie

KBs PensNmore
11th December 2015, 08:17 PM
Hi Hornpout,
If you look in the Toy Making section, page 5 about 2/3 of the way down "How I make my Tractor Wheels 31st December", I put a thread up about making my wheels. This was for tractor wheels, I use the same tool for making others, just changing the cutter blade. I made this tool and utilises worn out jointer blades about 1" X 3/16" X 3" long. and fits the tailstock with a number 2 morse taper. The cutters are shaped using a 4" angle grinder and a Dremel for final trimming.
Kryn

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/tractor-wheels-191265?highlight=tractor+wheels

Nubsnstubs
12th December 2015, 01:33 AM
I made a 3 bead tool that looks kinda like that. I don't have any pictures of it just yet, but will post later today. It is nothing more than a Craftsman molding cutter 1" wide, and using a couple files, I cut the profiles I wanted. Then I took it to a welding shop, and had them weld a 3/8" rod to it, keeping the cutting edge back about a 1/2". It was then mounted into a handle.

When I cut beads, I can't just stick my tool up to the rotating piece of wood. It has to be introduced to the wood at an angle, starting on one side of the tool, and slowly rocked back and forth until all 3 beads are cut. Tearout is a problem most of the time and I need to go back with a skew using it flat as a scraper to clean it up.

So, I suppose if you were to get a piece of tool steel, a 1/4" chainsaw file, and a 3/4" wide semi round file, you could make your own profile. Below is a picture of the beads that the tool produces. The picture with the 3 forms shows the bead at the top and bottom of the center form, and the bead at the top of the left form.....

Here are the pics of the detail tool I made. 365556365557.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

hornpout
12th December 2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks to all of you you have some great ideas i'm going to try it out