PDA

View Full Version : Is there a funnier TV show than Fawlty Towers?

Gingermick
6th August 2005, 12:46 AM
Didn't think so

rodm
6th August 2005, 03:07 AM
Typical banana bender
Gerymander, Rigged Polls and swamp water for grog :D

I have never seen it or even know what you are on about :rolleyes:

NewLou
6th August 2005, 10:26 AM
Yup looks like you learn't straight outa Joe's How to Boook!!!:D:D:D.................For me there is it was called 'Ripping Yarns' stared Michael Palin otta Monty Python episode entitled "The curse of the Claw" is an all time comedy classic!!!

REgards Lou

Zed
6th August 2005, 10:29 AM
silly poll. not gunna vote until you add "yes" as an option.. :D

obviously there is - when I was a teenager benny hill was the cats @rse! fawlty towers can be slightly painful. I remember tompkisnons school days in ripping yarns - burst out loud funny.

echnidna
6th August 2005, 10:29 AM
yes minister

Wongo
6th August 2005, 01:19 PM
Blackadder 4th series.

Gingermick
6th August 2005, 01:26 PM
silly poll..Silly show and I'm a silly man.

And if I can say that again, I'm a silly man :D

Gingermick
6th August 2005, 01:36 PM
Blackadder 4th series.
Was that the one with Hugh Laurie as the Prince regent?
That was good.
But I had just finished watching The Germans last night
(and had a skin full)

Wongo
6th August 2005, 02:02 PM
Was that the one with Hugh Laurie as the Prince regent?
That was good.
But I had just finished watching The Germans last night
(and had a skin full)

No!

The Germans one is the 4th.

"I spy with my little eyes something starts with T.

Breakfast! I always start my breakfast with a cup tea…" :D

Gumby
6th August 2005, 02:10 PM
No!

The Germans one is the 4th.

"I spy with my little eyes something starts with T.

Breakfast! I always start my breakfast with a cup tea…" :D

and Captain Darling ? :D

Wongo
6th August 2005, 02:17 PM
and Captain Darling ? :D

What about lord Flashheart

"Treat your kite like you treat your woman... Get inside her five times a day and take her to Heaven and back. " :D :D :D

Gingermick
6th August 2005, 02:45 PM
The Germans
"Whatever you do, don't mention the war". With the talking moose head and cybil's in growing toenail operation.
Then he proceeds to do his Adolf Hitler impresssion with the silly walk to cheer up his German guests.

Shane Watson
6th August 2005, 02:46 PM
That should make things a little more fair. ;)

Wongo
6th August 2005, 02:50 PM
"Whatever you do, don't mention the war".

"I mentioned once but i think i got away with it" :D

"Would you like a cup of tea before the war?" :D :D

Hey what about the nazi in Father Ted? :D

DavidG
6th August 2005, 02:56 PM
If ever there was a show that should have been axed it is that one.
Who could laugh at the dh antics of that drip.

Ughhhh
Now Aunty Jack.......

markharrison
6th August 2005, 06:47 PM
Blackadder is one of my favourites.

My current favourite is Black Books. Dylan Moran is just brilliant!

Auld Bassoon
6th August 2005, 08:10 PM
Blackadder!

Another BBC great, with Rowan Atkinson.

Cheers!

Gumby
6th August 2005, 08:14 PM
One of the best was 'Not the 9 O'clock news'

PhilMcCrackin
6th August 2005, 08:16 PM
What is Fawlty Towers?

Gumby
6th August 2005, 08:17 PM
What is Fawlty Towers?

Basil !!!!!!

goat
6th August 2005, 08:23 PM
mr bean was bloody funny too:D

Gingermick
6th August 2005, 08:32 PM
Has anyone mentioned anything that isn't from the Poms?
It would seem they have a darned good sense of humour, ......maybe that helps explain cricket.:rolleyes:

Shane Watson
6th August 2005, 11:09 PM
Tim the tool man...

ozwinner
6th August 2005, 11:16 PM
.Минута смеха KGB

Al :D

Translation (http://world.altavista.com/tr) here

NewLou
6th August 2005, 11:34 PM
Aunty Jack!!!!..............WhoooooooHooooooooooo!!!..................some a Paul Hogans early stuff wasen't bad either!!!

REgards Lou:D:D:D

Wongo
6th August 2005, 11:59 PM

Yes “Little Britain” :D . Not necessary political correct but those 2 silly men are pretty silly.

“But we are ladies.” :D

silentC
8th August 2005, 10:46 AM
The first time I saw Fawlty Towers on TV, I was in hospital after having my appendix out. To say I split my sides laughing is, unfortunately, a very accurate statement.

I would put Fawlty Towers, BlackAdder and Red Dwarf at the top of the pile when it comes to comedy. If I had to take one to a deserted island, it would probably be Black Adder.

I do pee myself laughing every time I watch The Germans though. "Don't mention the war" is a phrase we use a lot when we don't want someone to talk about a particular subject. Maybe we should use it here when we get sick of pancakes.

keith53
8th August 2005, 11:29 AM

I think its a cultural thing. Pom humour sits well with the Aussie sense of humour. Unlike the Yank stuff which generally has to take a rise out of or belittles someone, much of the pom stuff is genuinely funny (Tim the Toolman excepted).

I like most pom humour but I think Blackadder and Yes Minister/Prime Minister are particularly good.

Keith

AlexS
8th August 2005, 01:35 PM
Was at a conference last week run by a German company. One (German) speaker tried to lighten things up with a couple of jokes, to thin laughter. Then he apologised, saying that Germans don't have a sense of humour. Everyone roared. (OK, you had to be there)

He also claimed that Germans drank furniture polish. Told him it would kill him - but he'd have a nice finish.

Trav
8th August 2005, 02:20 PM
What about South Park? Can't go past the 'respect my authortaaaah' episode. Or perhaps the Simpsons?

But I do like the other mentioned.

Not sure about Aunty Jack - before my time perhaps.

Trav

Redback
8th August 2005, 02:31 PM
Men Behaving Badly is pretty good.

I'd still put blackadder, the 2nd and 4th series as my personal 'best'

aeg20boat
8th August 2005, 02:36 PM
Faulty Towers is good, in particular the one with "Stubbs", the builder.

These are probably just as good:
Open all hours - "It's me, Ark, ark, ark , Arkwright"
Black books
Mother and Son
Keeping up appearances

Most English comedies

Wadda yathink?

Godwin

silentC
8th August 2005, 03:20 PM
Was at a conference last week run by a German company. One (German) speaker tried to lighten things up with a couple of jokes, to thin laughter. Then he apologised, saying that Germans don't have a sense of humour. Everyone roared. (OK, you had to be there)
Reminds me of an episode of Root into Europe. Henry Root is in a steam room with a heap of Germans. He's heard they don't have a sense of humour but he reckons they just haven't heard any decent jokes, so he starts telling some. The Germans don't even crack a smile. Then one of them says something in German and they all crack up laughing.

Well, it's funny in context.... :p

Rocker
8th August 2005, 04:30 PM
I agree that the best of British comedy is hard to beat, but I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Seinfeld. Unlike Fawlty Towers, which comprises only 12 episodes, Seinfeld kept up a consistently high standard for nine seasons. I am not sure how many episodes that represents, but it must be close to 200. Seinfeld seems to have added a number of memorable words and phrases to the language - master of your domain, sponge-worthy, serenity now, shrinkage, soup nazi, and vegetable lasagna spring to mind.

Rocker

echnidna
8th August 2005, 04:37 PM
get smart wasn't a pom show

silentC
8th August 2005, 04:39 PM
OK, apart from Seinfeld, Get Smart and The Simpsons, what have the yanks ever done for comedy?

zenwood
8th August 2005, 05:12 PM
OK, apart from Seinfeld, Get Smart and The Simpsons, what have the yanks ever done for comedy? American comedy:

George Carlin
Bill Maher
Jon Stewart
Kevin James

George Carlin and Kevin James do regular stand-up gigs that they played on Comedy Central (is that on cable here?), and they are fantastic. Jon Stewart (The Daily Show) and Bill Maher do spoof journalism and interviews. The Daily Show have an excellent team. Jon Stewart did a brief stint on SBS, but don't know if it still plays. Don't know if the others have appeared much on ozzie tv. Carlin and Stewart have books out that I've seen here. During the election of George W and 9/11 Carlin and Stewart help me keep what little sanity I have left.;):D

Here are some of George Carlin's predictions for the future:

Man will learn to control the weather with a large hammer.
All knowledge in the world will be contained on a single, tiny silicon chip which someone will misplace.
The human body will develop fins and gills, and beach property will inscrease tenfold in value.
These quotes are from When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?, which is worth the price just for his pieces on UFOs and the Two Commandments.

silentC
8th August 2005, 05:15 PM
Yes, what have the Yanks ever done for comedy?

;)

Gumby
8th August 2005, 05:37 PM
The aquaduct ?

zenwood
8th August 2005, 05:50 PM

;) Er...ok...I know: had to be there!;):D

Iain
8th August 2005, 07:18 PM
I must admit that I do like Frasier, apart from that 'The Plank' is still up the top somewhere (not Seppo I know).
And Dinner for One is good for a change, which I think is German.

Gingermick
8th August 2005, 07:28 PM

;)George W Bush

I'm also a big fan of Black Books, Father Ted, Black adder, Red dwarf et al, and South Park and the Simpsons (Seinfeld gives me smirks and find Friends tiresome). South Park is a bit too much for my 9 yr old, But John Cleese and Andrew Sachs are a cut above.

oges
8th August 2005, 07:41 PM
Got the DVD collection at home .. always thought there were more episodes made.. Kingswood Country comes a close second

derekcohen
8th August 2005, 08:43 PM
Fawlty Towers is NOT VERY FUNNY after you have watched it 37 times. DAMHIK!

There is still something to be said for visualisation as not all can be viewed - I cut my teeth on The Goon Show (even met Spike Milligan a few times), and this still remains top of the heap for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Auld Bassoon
8th August 2005, 09:13 PM
What about South Park? Can't go past the 'respect my authortaaaah' episode. Or perhaps the Simpsons?

But I do like the other mentioned.

Not sure about Aunty Jack - before my time perhaps.

Trav
I hope you're not serioushttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif That's venemous pole-cat's **** if ever i've seen ithttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

ndru
8th August 2005, 11:41 PM
- Blackadder. Definitely my favourite. Not so much the first series, but I loved all the others. I periodically drag this out of the DVD collection and watch some favourite episodes;
- Father Ted. I have all the eps on DVD. Ardal O'Hanlan was fantastic! I especially loved "Night of the Nearly Dead". Another one that periodically emerges from the DVD collection;
- The Young Ones. The party episode was "bwilliant";
- Yes Minister. Textbook stuff for where I work, hence my signature. The empty hospital is great;
- Monty Python's Flying Circus. Too many quotable lines!;
- Red Dwarf, except Season 6 onwards. Cat realising he is Dwayne Dibley is priceless!
- Drop the Dead Donkey - a precursor to The Office. Fell apart in the last couple of seasons;
- 'Allo! 'Allo! The last season was not so great.
- The Goodies. Eckythump rules! Pity they haven't released more to DVD.

I enjoyed watching Fawlty Towers once around, but after the second run I found Basil's histrionics just began to irritate me.

Yank shows I enjoyed:
- Seinfeld, especially after the 1st season. As rocker said, its amazing how they kept up the quality for 9 seasons. George's parents were hilarious. Got a little strange in the last season;
- Get Smart. Fantastic writing by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, with spot on delivery by Don Adams;
- Simpsons, clever but getting tired.
- The Nanny. A bit light, but the Niles/C.C. banter and Fran's mother made it worthwhile.
- More recently "Scrubs", but programming is bloody irregular on Ch 7;

Most of the comedies I dislike are from the US. I never understood the "hits" like Friends, Everyone loves Raymond, Becker, Frasier. Cheers and Hogans Heroes were passable.

However, all my absolute extreme hates are the seventies UK series such as Mind Your Language, Are You Being Served, The Benny Hill Show (Yakety Sax!), Love thy Neighbour, Bless this House, Robins Nest, On the Buses, the Good Life. Yuck - what a sad era!

Harry72
9th August 2005, 12:48 AM

;) Hogan's hero's!
I know nothink... nothing
Tom and Jerry
Charlie Chaplin(was he a yank?)

Ashore
9th August 2005, 01:06 AM
For the Blackadder fans K-Mart have the full set ( all 4 series ) at about $65

For comedy though my personal best were Steptoe & son , Dads Army & Norman Gunston
Though 99 % of the other shows mentioned also rate
Just Don't Panic, Don't Panic, Mister

Useless infomation for the day

Man who run in front of car get tyred.

journeyman Mick
9th August 2005, 01:14 AM
...........Charlie Chaplin(was he a yank?)

Born in England, died in Switzerland. US passport revoked after he made a movie in which he kicked a cop in the backside. The passport was revoked when he was on board a ship heading overseas. The authorites deemed the footage was "anti-American" and unpatriotic.

Mick

Cliff Rogers
9th August 2005, 02:06 AM
The Roadrunner.... BEEP BEEP. :)

vsquizz
9th August 2005, 02:07 AM
The Goodies:D

Open all hours - "Thats the worlds most valuable OXO Tin G..G..Granville"

Just gotta love those Dad's Army re-runs

Red Dwarf..yep

definetley Blackadder or is that Slackbladder?

However..Dave Allen was the king I reckon...god rest his funny sole.

Cheers Beep Beep

sbranden
9th August 2005, 09:46 AM
Black Adder 2,3,4
The Goodies
Kenny Everet Video Show
The Young Ones
The Family Guy
Red Dwarf
The Big Train
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Shaun Micallef
D Generation
The Games (John Clarke and Bryan Dawe)
Some Futurama Episodes
and yep Dave Allen is agreat call
You really can't go past The Family Guy, Monty Python, Black Adder or The Young Ones for a good belly laugh.

Also, check out BoohBah's for a "what the hell are they smoking" moment- that show really needs heavy drugs to watch.

shaun (typed in authentic frontier gibberish)

echnidna
9th August 2005, 10:16 AM
Yank Comedy
M.A.S.H.

silentC
9th August 2005, 10:29 AM
Haven't watched an episode of that for years. The theme music puts me off every time. I used to watch it when I was a young 'un though.

zenwood
9th August 2005, 10:31 AM
Hogan's hero's!
I know nothink... nothing
Tom and Jerry
Charlie Chaplin(was he a yank?)

Buster Keaton
Vincent Price, e.g. the original House on Haunted Hill: what a scream.
Steve Oedekerk (e.g. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist: laughed myself to acheing point in that one)
Now: how about a mini-thread of overrated American comedians. Here's my suggestions:

Bob Hope (never funny)
Robin Willliams (occasionally funny)
Billy Crystal (except for his performance in Princess Bride as the NY Jewish Magician: "why don'tya gimme a paper-cut an' rub lemon juice in it..."
Drew Carey
David Letterman
Jay Leno (is there a trend here?)
Kermit the frog (in fact all muppets)
Jerry Seinfeld (is he really worth all those millions?)
Mel Brooks (very funny in Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Dracula: Dead and Loving It, but woeful in Space Balls. Actually, maybe The Producers makes up for it. Oh, ok then, he's not overrated.)
Tim Allen
Jim Carrey (some good stuff: e.g. Me, Myself and Irene, but The Grinch was unwatchable)

silentC
9th August 2005, 10:36 AM
Are you seriously telling me that silent slapstick movies make you laugh?

silentC
9th August 2005, 10:46 AM
Here you go, as voted by the Poms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%27s_Best_Sitcom

zenwood
9th August 2005, 10:57 AM
Are you seriously telling me that silent slapstick movies make you laugh? Yes: I'm very serious [:|]

silentC
9th August 2005, 11:03 AM
Well, there's no accounting for taste, is there? ;)

zenwood
9th August 2005, 11:05 AM
Well, there's no accounting for taste, is there? ;) That explains the Americans (both their humour and George W?) :)

Paper Artist
9th August 2005, 11:10 AM
Dumb dumbs!! You not know funny show when you see it!! Best show on TV "Smile Big Smack Hamster" - game show from Japan. About hamster. Very funny!! Make Paper Artist laugh until he make accident in underpants. You watch, then tell Paper Artist not most funny show on TV.

echnidna
9th August 2005, 01:02 PM
Ah so!

adrian
9th August 2005, 01:16 PM
Green Wing.

vsquizz
9th August 2005, 06:11 PM
F-Troop (Non PC Yank Humour;) )

QLD Politics in the 70's & 80's by Jingo by Crikey:D

I thought Minder and more recently Old Dogs New Tricks was a great laugh.

My Dad used to find Manuel so frustrating he just couldn't watch Fawlty Towers.

The Two Ronnies

I never really got into Steptoe and Son as I thought he was a dirty old man who ran a junk shop:rolleyes: :D .

Cheers

Gumby
9th August 2005, 06:49 PM
The best Aussie one was The Late Show. (around early 90's)

Gingermick
9th August 2005, 07:02 PM
The Simpsons always provides more. Last night Lisa was singing 'Blowin' in the wind' and she sings, 'how many roads must a man walk down before etc' and Homer says 7. She responds, 'No dad its a rhetorical question. 'OK then, 8',
'Dad, do you even know what rhetorical means?' Homer responds. 'Do I even know what rhetorical means?'

Shannon
10th August 2005, 02:14 PM
I'm a sucker for british comedy,

Blackadder (except the 1st series, what's with Baldrick being more inteligent than Blackadder!)
The Goodies
MASH though for me is also a bit of an icon even though USA.
Simpsons is ever inventive also.

I think it sometimes has to do with the era you were growing up in, but on the whole the english have it all over the americans from my point of view.

Unfortunately, I can at times get extremely embarressed for characters who make fools of themselves, so whilst Fawlty towers was a funny show, there was no way I could sit through an entire eposide without leaving the room :D
I have the transcripts from all the episodes though and it makes me laugh out loud.

Wongo
10th August 2005, 02:22 PM
Kath & Kim

Trav
10th August 2005, 02:24 PM
I just can't see how people think Kath and Kim is all that funny. Sure there are a few funny bits, but I just can't get into it.

Perhaps I'm un-australian

TRav

HappyHammer
10th August 2005, 02:30 PM
The Office

Wongo
10th August 2005, 02:32 PM
I thought I should mention it because it is Australian. Some bits are funny but it is definitely not the one I will watch again and again like Slackblader or Farty towels. :D

Caliban
10th August 2005, 02:41 PM
Fawlty Towers, then Allo Allo. Can't stand Kath and Kim.

Studley 2436
10th August 2005, 06:04 PM
Yes Minister has to rate

Studley hopes no one mentions The Goodies or That thing with the Slapping Fish Dance

Studley 2436
10th August 2005, 06:09 PM
Loved F Troop
Mr Bean has some absolute rippers, Mash was great, has anyone mentioned On The Busses? There must be someone here old enough to remember that.

Have to say there have been many many funny shows. The Comedy Company had it's great moments.

MMMM is Claudia better looking than Elle? All down to personal preference

Studley

Gumby
10th August 2005, 06:11 PM
MMMM is Claudia better looking than Elle?

No contest. Claudia easy.

(Kylie wins though :D )

Cagey
10th August 2005, 09:56 PM
Red dwarf
Monty pythons flying circus
Blackadder
Get Smart

aeg20boat
10th August 2005, 10:36 PM
How 'bout Men behaving badly?

Off the topic -
I'm new to this forum caper and I'm very dissapointed that I don't have "Novice" or "Apprentice" under my name.
Why can't I post threads?
What have I done to deseve this? Or am I just very insignificant in the scheme of things.

A little help please

Gingermick
10th August 2005, 10:44 PM
In the user control panel. It looks like you put your user name in twice user name in twice. 'Edit profile' look in there.

HappyHammer
11th August 2005, 03:33 PM
Or am I just very insignificant in the scheme of things.

Yes, sorry you asked for it :D

Smed
19th August 2005, 04:16 PM
Porridge and more recently Black Books. Men bevhaving badly was alright at the time.

Smed

Waldo
20th August 2005, 07:32 PM
G'day,

Thought I'd give my 2 cents in here and up those who pander to political correctness.

The two funniest shows of all time have to be:

• Kingswood Country; and

• Love Thy Neighbour.

They're from a time when comedy wasn't the rubbish we get from the Yanks, but real funny local Aussie made gems and the stuff from England. And as others have posted, Black Books, Black Adder and Mr. Bean and Married with Children.

ele__13
1st September 2005, 10:27 PM
Black Adder
The Goodies
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Kenny Everet Video Show
The Young Ones
The Family Guy
Red Dwarf
D Generation
Mr Bean
the vicar of dibbley
and of course
Keeping up apearances ( with MRS BUCKET !!!

Waldo
1st September 2005, 10:45 PM
G'day,

How could you not inclue The Goodies! Ecky Thump, the big cat, the dinosaurs episode, kidnapping Rolf Harris - ahh those were the days! :D

Gingermick
2nd September 2005, 07:37 AM
I got my 9 year old son interested in that too.

2nd September 2005, 08:48 AM
"Only fools and horses" by a country mile,gets my vote...............Al

Iain
2nd September 2005, 08:52 AM
Til death us do part, not the crappy US version, complete with all of it''s political correctness :rolleyes: