PDA

View Full Version : Supernova 2 and a Jet Mini Lathe?

Silvir
6th August 2005, 06:33 AM
Hello all,

I am looking for turners who have this setup or can comment on it. I bought a Supernova 2 chuck a couple of months ago. I bought this with the idea of purchasing a larger lathe but have since purchased a Jet JWL-1014VS. I will be using the mini at home and in school trying to get my woodshop students interested in turning. We will be doing mostly small bowls and such.

Another question for you all. What brand of chisels would stand up to a student environment and not be too costly?

Thank you in advance,
Bob from Idaho

HiString
6th August 2005, 02:51 PM
Bob,

Welcome.

I can't comment on the JET/Supernova combination, however, where chisels are concerned I know Grizzly have a range of economically priced tools which some acquantances in the US are using without any problems.

Cheers :cool:

soundman
6th August 2005, 09:43 PM
I have a jet mini lathe & its a great unit, speaking with Gary Pye, he says that there are heaps of clubs that have them.
I have the techna midi chuck for mine.
Its a great litte piece of kit particularly if you want to drag it arround.

For the kiddies buy a bucket full of the beter sort of cheap chisels. It don't matter too much if they wreck em then.
cheers

gatiep
7th August 2005, 02:24 AM
In my turning classes we use the Carbatec TJ-6, $99-00 sets for the students. Works well and at the average cost of $16-70 per turning tool is cheaper than chips! They work.

HiString
7th August 2005, 12:25 PM
Those Carbatec sets probably equate to the $39US sets Grizzly sell :)

:cool:

Babytoolman
7th August 2005, 05:25 PM
Silvir,
I have that exact set up on my small lathe. It is a good system and the chuch is not to heay for the lathe.
I would beware of buying the colejaws as there is not enough space between the centre and the bed. i am now making my own set of jaws to fit.

The tools just grab the grisily ones.

Have fun

Roger

Captain Chaos
7th August 2005, 07:21 PM
G'day Silvir,
I've just bought a Jet mini lathe ( belt speed change model ) to use as a second lathe. I've set it up for travelling around with me when I go walkabout.:) I was going to use the SuperNova chuck set up but it seemed to be too far out from the headstock / bearing for my liking considering its weight & the fact that the headstock bearings are only single row bearings. This is only a personal thought & the setup will probably work faultlessly, especially if you do not intend to turn large(ish) and / or out of balance timber.
Also, when purchasing the chuck, the spindle thread on the lathe is 1" - 10tpi & not 1" - 8tpi as stated in the manual. This may only be a fault with the Lathes supplied in Australia.:confused: I found out the hard way. :eek: :mad:

Nova have also just released a Mini Cole Jaws set for their chuck range. I bought a set from Mik at the Adelaide Working With Wood Show last Sunday for use on my Nova Midi chuck on the Jet. They are approx. 6" ( 150mm ) diameter & cost $Au59.00.
As for the tools, yeah, go with the Grizzly sets.
Take good care,
Barry.

Silvir
8th August 2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info ... now to look up the Grizzly items )

Silvir

Toasty
26th August 2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Silvir,

Did you get the combo you were looking at? I'm thinking of picking up the Jet Mini and the SuperNova2 at the Working With Wood Show when it hits Canberra next month.

At the very least I would get the mini chuck that they do, but would prefer to future proof myself to an extent and get the SN2 while at the same time not wanting to hamstring the little lathe.

Still haven't decided between the varibale speed and fixed speed Jet. I understand the variable still requires manual belt position changes for the full range

Utuk_Xul
26th August 2005, 01:58 PM
I only buy those cheap 8 piece HSS turning chisel sets from Harbor Freight. lol They work great for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47066

Here's a link to check them out. $35

Cliff Rogers
26th August 2005, 03:48 PM
G'day.

I have a JET Mini & 2 Supernovas, one is the new supernova 2.
They work fine on the mini.
I also have a set of regular Cole jaws for them & they don't fit on the JET Mini.

TimberNut
26th August 2005, 05:21 PM
Geez Cliff,

how many lathes have you got ???

But then, you do have about 4 sheds, don't you ?

Toasty
26th August 2005, 05:43 PM
I see there is a mini cole jaws (http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/minicolejaws.html) available

Cliff Rogers
26th August 2005, 06:18 PM
Geez Cliff,

how many lathes have you got ???

But then, you do have about 4 sheds, don't you ?

4 lathes, 7 scroll chucks, 2 cup chucks, 7 face plates... & a partridge in a pair tree :D

Toasty
29th August 2005, 12:08 PM
I have a JET Mini & 2 Supernovas, one is the new supernova 2.
They work fine on the mini.

G'day Cliff,

Any problems with the SN2 reducing the useable amount of space with the mini? By that I mean, can you still turn pens and hollow from the other end with a drill druck etc etc? This is without purchasing the bed extension.

Just think I read somewhere that the SN2 might hang out too much, but don't know if I read right.

Cliff Rogers
29th August 2005, 01:03 PM
.. can you still turn pens and hollow from the other end with a drill druck etc etc? This is without purchasing the bed extension.

Just think I read somewhere that the SN2 might hang out too much, but don't know if I read right.

Dunno, haven't tried it.

I didn't have any problems with the SN & nova pin jaws.

I haven't put the SN & the SN2 up againts each other to see if there is a differance in dept, I'll do that later this week & let you know.