PDA

View Full Version : English Oak Bowl

Pat
13th December 2015, 04:58 PM
A benefactor donated some English Oak logs back in May this year, a member stored them at her place and then conned her long suffering husband to deliver them. Muggins here processed the logs into turning blanks. This bowl is for the member, as she wanted a bowl. I rough turned it in June and finished turned it this morning. Sanded to 1500#, eee and Shellawax Cream. Dimensions 230*70.

Fun sized bowl turning and very different to the spindle turning that I have been doing for the last month.

For the third pic, lean your head to the left . . . dunno what I did there.

smiife
13th December 2015, 07:19 PM
Hi pat,
Nice looking bowl, the finish looks great
I like the inside shape of the bowl , but i
think the outside shape should follow the
inside, and maybe a foot to lift it up , hope you
don, t mind me commenting, just what i thought
when i first saw it, and is only my opion......for what
that is worth:whistling2:

Pat
13th December 2015, 07:37 PM
Smiife, I don't mind anyone's opinion. Yes it would have looked different with a foot, but when I roughed it, I did not plan on the foot. I though I had, but upon finding the roughed out blank with only a spigot, I had to go with that. I'll try another shape when I find the other blank I have . . . somewhere in the new shed.

Paul39
14th December 2015, 04:09 AM
Pat,

Nice figure and finish. I like the shape as is.

If you used your phone to take the photos, read the fine print in the directions or do a google search about how to make them come out right. There was a long discussion about this on Practical Machinist some time ago.

artme
14th December 2015, 06:18 AM
Nice piece of timber and you have achieved a great finish.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have to agree with Smife about the shape.

turnerted
14th December 2015, 03:56 PM
Looks good Pat . The only oak I've turned came from some table legs someone had dumped on the verge .
Ted