PDA

View Full Version : Bit Late For Halloween

wheelinround
16th December 2015, 06:34 PM
I was able to get a hold of some Norfolk Pine when a neighbour was having a tree cut down about 4yrs ago I did get to turn one green (http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/norfolk-island-pine.html). During a clean up recently of shed I had to check these to make sure they had not rotted as they were heavily spalted. They 3 remaining pieces were all solid.

Using Hughies designed and made Swan Neck tool made this job a whole lot easier he had brought it around the week before I cleaned up and got the logs out.

It is approx 8" high ext 7 1/2" dep internal with wall thickness of approx or just less than 3mm. I have more hand sanding to do but DO needs time to dry.

I'll post final photos when all 3 are finished the longer two logs will be not till into new year. Got to get over the lurgy first.366023366022 Two latter shots just prior taking it off the lathe.
366024 had a visitor

smiife
16th December 2015, 08:05 PM
Hi wheelie,
Looks very interesting, I like all knots in norfolk plne
was it easy to turn?, Is it like ordinary pine .?
Well done :2tsup:

wheelinround
16th December 2015, 10:14 PM
Hi wheelie,
Looks very interesting, I like all knots in norfolk plne
was it easy to turn?, Is it like ordinary pine .?
Well done :2tsup:

Thanks smifie
Its what makes it look as well as spalting interesting.
Green and wet is best if you follow the link you'll see the 1st one I did wish I had the time to go as thin it became a rushed job.This one wasn't nor are the other two.
This one was slow progress taking my time as it was very dry BUT using a soapy water solution to moisten it as I went helped a lot (thanks Hughie) that was for roughing out. The a good soak with brunishing oil or DO as it thinned to 15mm down on the internal. The oil had soaked through to outside for final wall thickness and shaping.
I don't think its like ordinary pine smifie, thats me though.

Turning wet/green was a dream long ribbons dry was a little harder as its all end grain and tear out is major when roughing. Lighter cuts and speed up towards the end.

Oh knots need to be stabilised with either CA or epoxy I used CA on both.

artful bodger
16th December 2015, 11:12 PM
The knots look really good with the light shining from the inside, could even make a cool lampshade?
Excuse my ignorance but what is CA?

Christos
17th December 2015, 07:59 AM
The long awaited shed cleanup producing some nice pieces to play with. :2tsup:

wheelinround
17th December 2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks gents I try

Christos I was waiting for you to come help :q

The knots look really good with the light shining from the inside, could even make a cool lampshade?
Excuse my ignorance but what is CA?

Super Glue

(http://www.garypye.com/Super-Glue-c16/)

wheelinround
17th December 2015, 06:16 PM
I was expecting a few days out of the shed due to not feeling the best by 9.30 I was in cleaning up and setting up the next log. Slow progress but did well. Protruding branches cut off that worked up a sweat, rough turned, viods around branches filled with epoxy mixed with black pigment some just required CA allowed to dry while having lunch. Tenon turned, mounted in chuck and steady set up. I got about 7" into it before knock off.
The outside shape is not the final shape that will come after hollowing.

:o:doh: Photos haven't loaded 3rd time trying to.

wheelinround
23rd January 2016, 01:42 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting here is No's 2 & No 3

No2 is 300mm+ high wall thickness to 5mm at the bottom 8mm.

No3 is hollowed in the bowl section to approx 8mm with light at the mouth a dull red glow can be seen through the knots. Top wall thickness is about 6mm. Undercut does have a thin wall.

Many reasons for slow progress weather being one.

Both only DO coats at this stage undecided what finish as yet.

Paul39
24th January 2016, 12:55 PM
OH MY! The long necked one is wonderful!

I would like to get some big N I Pine. All I have seen here are in pots in bank lobbies.

I did snatch up my neighbors discarded Norway Spruce Christmas tree and made 2 vessels and a little bowl with lots of knots.

hughie
25th January 2016, 08:30 AM
Looking good Ray. But you chose some wicked looking shapes for hollowing :U Glad the hollower is getting a work out, any tear out on the Norfolk Pine? These sort of hollowers can produce a a fair bit of end grain tear out on soft stuff like this.

wheelinround
25th January 2016, 04:03 PM
Thanks Paul had my pucker moments with tool buried deep slight change of tool rest position/height and all went well.

Hughie I considered making the two similar BUT the second one would have been much shorter due to knots position.
Yep that hollower will be a well worked tool a few different tips will give added benefit. I made one already used on the last one made our of an old Allen Key.
I am making up a new holder for them as well as the angle one can be a bit of a problem close to the bottom, it will be end drilled.
Tear out no idea I couldn't see down there LOL

Thanks heaps for the tool Hughie.

Oh Supercheap has a bunch of scourer sanding arbours and polishing mops $2 I think.