PDA

View Full Version : Embellished Norfolk Pine

kcam
21st December 2015, 01:29 PM
Found a piece of Norfolk Pine in my stash and as I don't particularly like it to turn or for that matter make anything out of. I thought that this piece would make do as a practice for an embellishment idea.

I was not happy with the inside shape of the bowl as it did not mirror the outside to my satisfaction. I continued anyway and turned two rings on the outside , painted with red acrylic paint, embossed the inside of ring with a Dremel using a round burr and then a small round saw burr. Masked it off and then used a spray can of clear finish to cover the embellished ring only. The rest is finished with a few buffed coats of Kunos Oil.

The shape looked a bit out of proportion without something being done to the base so three nipple feet were added that I think improved the proportions.
This is a bowl that just happened without a great deal of thought, critique is welcome.

Merry Christmas to all....cheers Kerry

artme
21st December 2015, 04:59 PM
Very well done sire!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

If you don't particularly like it, I know someone who does!!:D

Picko
21st December 2015, 06:09 PM
I like it Kerry, particularly the carving.

Christos
22nd December 2015, 11:01 AM
I think the carving has really made this piece. I am not really sure on the feet but do see it lifted from the table a little.

Paul39
22nd December 2015, 12:06 PM
I think the figure, the shape, and the carving are wonderful. Sometimes if not most times the best pieces just happen.

Merry Christmas.

powderpost
22nd December 2015, 09:15 PM
Hi Kerry, merry Christmas, I like the simplicity of the shape, the decoration is just about right, enough to create interest but not to take over the piece. As for the "nipple" feet, they suit the piece and add to the over all impression. I like it.

Jim