PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Turnings

ogato
27th December 2015, 12:41 PM
A bit of spare time on Christmas Day and Boxing Day - between the constant grazing, huge meals and social lubrication - so had a bit of quiet time in the shed and made a couple of trinkets . . .
Small Silky Oak Bowl, and Silky Vase - rescued wood from the firewood scraps heap, and
Camphor Bowl - from a half turned blank I found buried at the back of my 'good bits' stash.
Christmas has been good, roll on the New Year

Jeff

smiife
27th December 2015, 03:58 PM
Hi jeff,
Couple of nice bowls there mate ,, well done :2tsup:
Always nice to get some shed time......

Uncle Al
27th December 2015, 09:05 PM
I would be very happy to turn out bowls of that quality in a day, especially after a few liquid refreshments. I particularly like the shape and finish of the Camphor bowl.

Have fun in the shed,

Alan...

ogato
27th December 2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks Alan,

Just to clarify - no lathe work done after drinking anything other than coffee.
The camphor bowl has come up quite nicely - finished using Kunos Oil. Just a couple of coats when the photos were taken (shows the grain and colour OK, but avoids sun/light reflections), but it will get a few more to improve the lustre in the fnal product.

Jeff

Christos
29th December 2015, 01:53 PM
Nice set of bowls and vase.

What is the size of the vase? When I do something from silky oak I find that it can be a little light weight.

ogato
29th December 2015, 09:18 PM
Hi Christos - the vase is approx 235mm high, the base is 59mm across, fairly solid by silky standards, so it sits there OK.

Jeff

Christos
30th December 2015, 11:41 PM
Could have been the batch that I got.:confuzzled: It was after all free so can not complain too much.