PDA

View Full Version : Hamlet Masterflute vs normal bowl gouge?

TongueTied
29th December 2015, 07:44 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Hamlet Masterflute bowl gouge and their normal bowl gouge? Is the difference the grind? The Masterflute being a finger grind and the normal being a bottom feeder grind?

Mobyturns
30th December 2015, 12:06 PM
TT this may answer some of your questions - A personal view of bowl gouges (http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/sflute.htm)

TongueTied
30th December 2015, 02:15 PM
Mobyturns, Thanks for the link, very informative. I'm very much a beginner at this so all information is very much appreciated.

In regards to the Hamlet bowl gouges, I am still confused. There isn't much information on them so I can't tell what each of them is. Making a few assumptions based on the information in Mobyturns' link, the Hamlet Masterflute series would have a more 'V' shaped flute with no indication of the grind on the gouge. Would that be correct? I don't want to spend a fortune on bowl gouges but was looking to get 1 with a bottom feeder style grind and 1 with a fingernail grind. I realise I could do the grind myself but if I can buy them already done, that would be a better starting point, I would imagine. The Hamlet gouges are reasonably less expensive than some of the others mentioned throughout this forum, hence the reason I was looking at these but if I can't figure out what I will be receiving, I think I will need to look at other brands.

Christos
30th December 2015, 08:10 PM
...... I realise I could do the grind myself but if I can buy them already done, that would be a better starting point, I would imagine. .....

I am not able to comment on the Hamlet brand but I can confirm that you can reshape the gouge to any grind yourself. I have done that unintentionally and gotten help to regrind to what I wanted using a jig. Currently do not have a jig and so I am doing this free hand with moderate success and I use the term moderate loosely. :roll:

NeilS
4th January 2016, 10:50 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Hamlet Masterflute bowl gouge and their normal bowl gouge? Is the difference the grind? The Masterflute being a finger grind and the normal being a bottom feeder grind?

The flute profile has an influence on the possible range of grinds but not to the extent that you suggest above. The V flute profiles (catenary and parabolic) will take many variations in swept back grind. The U profile is a bit more limited in what it will take and most turners use them with a less swept back grind.

If you have settled on Hamlet, and without getting dogmatic about the names given to the various grinds, I suggest you start with the Masterflute and their Celtic grind. Set your sharpening jig to exactly match the gouge grind before first use and don't think of changing those settings until such time as you have learnt to competently use it as supplied. It is a versatile grind used by many professional turners and any shortcomings are more likely to be on the other end of the gouge.

This page (http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning_Tools/Hamlet_Tools/Hamlet_Gouge/hamlet_gouge.html) has good information on Hamlet's Masterflute profile and their Celtic grind. From what I can see from their photos, their 'standard' grind is not suitable for turning across the inside bottom of a bowls, IMO... it would not allow for the bevel to rub. I use a grind similar to the Celtic to turn all parts of my bowls, including the inside bottoms. If you wanted a dedicated gouge for just the inside bottoms then I reckon a more straight across grind would be better for that purpose, but a bit of a luxury if funds are tight. A sharpening jig would be more of a priority if you don't have one of those yet.

NeilS
5th January 2016, 12:22 PM
Further to my above comment about "a more straight across grind", here are some examples of what I meant by that. They are from NZ turner, Terry Scott.

chiseltestgmc.jpg Photo by timberly2458 | Photobucket (http://s447.photobucket.com/user/timberly2458/media/chiseltestgmc.jpg.html)

Paul39
6th January 2016, 01:30 PM
I found going from a more bottom feeder grind that I was used to, to a fingernail grind on another gouge the first time to be quite exciting and resulted in a nice spiral trench on the inside of the bowl and the bowl out of the chuck.

You might want to start with a slightly swept back grind and then change that to more swept back as you gain experience.

I prefer the more U shaped flute over the more V shaped. The V shaped flute is better for the very swept back grind as it gives a long cutting edge for the outside of the bowl and leaves a very smooth surface. It is a bit like a skew for bowls.

I recommend a jig for bowl gouges, especially when starting. You will get a repeatable grind quickly and sharp all the way around.