PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning Bowl Blanks

Tangles
7th August 2005, 12:41 PM
I have seen bowl blanks available for purchase that have been sealed at least on the end-grain with wax. I have recently acquired some green timber I intend to band-saw into bowl blanks and let season.
Could anyone give me some advice on what type of wax to use, where to buy it and how to apply it.
Thanks
Tangles

dai sensei
7th August 2005, 04:16 PM
Welcome aboard Tangles, but a word of advise, always do a search before asking questions.

I use polystyrene dissolved in turps (break it up and put it in and it melts to create a thick white goo) then paint in on the end grain. Cheap and easy.

Cheers

Babytoolman
7th August 2005, 05:40 PM
Tangles,

You can buy endgrain sealer from a woodwork supply online or you can get it at a paint shop.

Roger

La truciolara
7th August 2005, 07:55 PM
you can of course use all the products mentioned above. Most end grain sealer cost some dollars more than traditional vynil glue (I don't know if yopu call it vynil). This glue is used to glue wood together, becomes transparent when dry, you can clean your brush with water, and it performes just as well as end grain sealers in a far less expensive way (I have been doing it for the pas 15 years)

PAH1
8th August 2005, 10:13 AM
you can of course use all the products mentioned above. Most end grain sealer cost some dollars more than traditional vynil glue (I don't know if yopu call it vynil). This glue is used to glue wood together, becomes transparent when dry, you can clean your brush with water, and it performes just as well as end grain sealers in a far less expensive way (I have been doing it for the pas 15 years)

I had not heard that one before but sounds interesting. However glue costs about $6/500ml at its cheapest here, ie a 20L drum is about $240, 20L of Liquid wax emulsions from Caltex/BP/Mobil cost $50-90.

By all means seal the blanks, but you are better off in the long run to get into them and turn them green and then season them.

Little Festo
9th August 2005, 09:58 AM
Tangles,

As PAH1 said it's a good idea to rough the blanks green. Green wood turns very nicely and there are fewer problems with cracking. When I rough I still paint the ouside with end sealer - Mobilcer

Peter

hughie
9th August 2005, 11:07 PM
Tangles have a look at this link for info your after
http://woodturns.com/InvisionBoard/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=10

hughie

La truciolara
10th August 2005, 06:25 AM
I had not heard that one before but sounds interesting. However glue costs about $6/500ml at its cheapest here, ie a 20L drum is about $240, 20L of Liquid wax emulsions from Caltex/BP/Mobil cost $50-90.
I am going to start exporting the glue to australia :D
Here we have it for about 12$ for 5 L

gatiep
18th August 2005, 01:07 AM
I am going to start exporting the glue to australia :D
Here we have it for about 12$ for 5 L

La T,
Glue is only cheap because you don't have the beautiful Australian wood to use it on!
:D

Just teasing