PDA

View Full Version : Last Turning of 2015

Dalboy
1st January 2016, 05:27 AM
Well after making all the presents I managed one last bowl of 2015. Made from Yew not that you need to be told. Finished with sander sealer and canuba wax on the buffing system. Measures 7 1/2" X 1 1/2".

artme
1st January 2016, 08:19 AM
By the look of that hole you may have been lucky not to see the year out with a bang!:D

Nice piece!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

splinterz25
1st January 2016, 09:39 AM
Very nice work.

Bruce

Dalboy
1st January 2016, 09:53 AM
By the look of that hole you may have been lucky not to see the year out with a bang!:D

Nice piece!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I am looking for a log that will have bigger holes I like a challenge:woot::woot:

Willy Nelson
1st January 2016, 09:58 AM
You lucky bugger
I haven't been on the lathe since last year
Willy
Jarrahland

Christos
6th January 2016, 02:50 PM
I might be a little bit of an adventurer but I love the holes that develop. I think it gives the piece some character. Did this come about during the turning or did you punch it out after the turning?

Dalboy
6th January 2016, 11:24 PM
You lucky bugger
I haven't been on the lathe since last year
Willy
Jarrahland

It sounds like you need some lathe therapy look forward to seeing something in the near future

I might be a little bit of an adventurer but I love the holes that develop. I think it gives the piece some character. Did this come about during the turning or did you punch it out after the turning?

I did see the fault in the half log before starting which was full of loose bark so cleared as much out as possible before turning the outside still surprising the amount that flew out during that time. I find that Yew is great for finding fissures and faults in it, like the one I turned a while ago

Allan at Wallan
7th January 2016, 08:45 AM
Very educational!

It shows what "knot" to do.

Very well done.

Allan

Christos
7th January 2016, 05:18 PM
.....I did see the fault in the half log before starting which was full of loose bark so cleared as much out as possible before turning the outside still surprising the amount that flew out during that time........

One of the best reasons to wear a fully covered face shield.

This is exactly what I mean this becomes a very interesting piece.

I know it may seem risky to people but given that you can see the crack and are aware that measures can be taken like using tape to keep the piece from flapping. I have only done open forms(bowls/platters) that are cracked not hollow forms as yet i don't have the tools for the undercut.

Dalboy
7th January 2016, 10:45 PM
When doing things like the little vase after the outside I used masking tape around the neck this gave the advantage of being able to see inside while I hollowed it yet made it safe enough to turn. I always wear a full face shield.