PDA

View Full Version : Jacaranda bowl and ebonising...

Faulko
2nd January 2016, 08:46 PM
Work in progress, hope to finish soon. Jacaranda blank that was split from the log. Decided to see how the irregular rim would look, with patrilly undercut rim. This has meant some challenging moments. Also decided to have a go at ebonising the outside. Maybe the contrast with the inside will look ok, maybe not. Found it a bit hard to get a uniform reaction and 'ebonised' finish. Will update once inside done.

dai sensei
2nd January 2016, 09:13 PM
Off to an interesting start

powderpost
2nd January 2016, 11:05 PM
Ebonising, staining and toning is always a challenge when there is side grain and end grain to contend with. This one looks like you have achieved a good job. :2tsup:. I think you may be a little disappointed with the natural edge when the bowl is finished, I hope not.

Jim

smiife
3rd January 2016, 06:55 PM
Hi faulko,
Off to a great start, I like the ebonised finish on
the outside, are you doing the inside the same?
pressures on now..........all waiting for the finished
bowl !:2tsup:

Faulko
3rd January 2016, 08:47 PM
Well, here it is. Reasonably happy given its an experiment. I like the ebonising effect, and i dont mind the irregular rim. The undercut beat me. My gouge technique wasnt up to it, and sanding it was tedious. Thickness of under cut rim varies, and so due to irregular shaped rim thickness of top of rim varies a bit. Jim - thats the main reason i dont like the irregular rim. On the other hand, the high part of the rim provides good grip to pick bowl up.
Will have another go but with standard bowl shape - with ebonised outside only again.

double.d
5th January 2016, 06:52 AM
Very nice. I think the contrast in colour is perfect.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style=" display: block;"></object>

artme
5th January 2016, 10:06 AM
I really like that Faulko!! Well done indeed!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It is pleasing to see that the ebonising has not overpowered the grain pattern.

What did you use for the ebonising?

Faulko
5th January 2016, 11:23 AM
I made an ebonising solution by using 0000 steel wool and homebrand white vinegar. Drench the wool, then leave it out in air for a few days so that it dries and rusts - its best if it crumbles, i think. Then put that into a jar of vinegar, stir and leave for a few days - 3 or 4 is better, i think. I didnt screw the jar lid on tight, just in case the reaction gave off gas. Then filter into another jar, using a coffee percolator filter paper. I painted this solution on a few times over two days. It was initially bluey/grey, and successive applications made it darker/browner. I was still after something a bit darker, so i made a really really strong tea solution, and then applied it, and when it had soaked in, i did another application of the eboniser. I got all this from google/youtube - the one i warched was the australian wood review video (Australian Wood Review: Shades of Black (http://www.woodreview.com.au/news/shades-of-black)).
One thing - i used a brush to apply the eboniser, and if it ran, it left a run mark as part of the ebonised finsih - this was part of the reason for so many coats - it took a while to get one i was reasonably happy with. I learnt to go gently to avoid runs and tiny bubbles.
I like the contrast with the jacaranda, and will do again. I'd be interested to hear form anyone else who has tried this with jac, or other commonly salvaged wood for turning. cheers

smiife
5th January 2016, 07:16 PM
Hi faulko,
Have you tried spirit stains,?..........one or two coats
and you have a good dark colour.

Faulko
5th January 2016, 08:40 PM
No, colouring wood is all new to me. Will look into spirit staining - thanks.

smiife
5th January 2016, 08:46 PM
No, colouring wood is all new to me. Will look into spirit staining - thanks.

Make sure you wear gloves!!!!!!!,,!:o

artful bodger
6th January 2016, 09:08 AM
If you manage to get some old fashioned black spirit dye I would be interested to know where you got it from. Tried to get some last year and could not find it anywhere. In the end I had to settle for aniline dye which is not in the same league as spirit dye.

Faulko
6th January 2016, 10:30 AM
I'm ignorant of the differences...more research for me i guess...

Gary H
6th January 2016, 11:25 AM
G'day Faulko,

Thanks for educating the uneducated. I now know what ebonising is, how to do it, and the recipe - alll thanks to your posts. To complete my education, did you then polish it, and if so, what did you use. Love the look, and I have some jacaranda that could use the colour contrasts !

Faulko
6th January 2016, 02:57 PM
Once dried i finished whole bowl with tung oil/citris turps mix. Let try for a fews days or so, depending on weather, then buff, then recoat. Pro do three coats on this one.

smiife
6th January 2016, 07:43 PM
If you manage to get some old fashioned black spirit dye I would be interested to know where you got it from. Tried to get some last year and could not find it anywhere. In the end I had to settle for aniline dye which is not in the same league as spirit dye.

Hi ab,
I got my spirit stain from an auto paint shop
I can, t remember the name but will have look
tommorow and let you know :cool::cool:

powderpost
6th January 2016, 09:29 PM
Watyll produce a range of spirit stains, I have used them successfully.
Ebonising can be enhanced by painting on a coat of very strong tea, Soak three tea bags in a cup of boiling water an let it cool. Brush the brew on and let it dry. The tanins in the tea will enhance the effect of the ebonising brew. This will work especially well on jacaranda, bit late For this project I know.

Jim

Faulko
6th January 2016, 09:39 PM
yep, I tried the tea after i'd already done a few coats of ebonising solution, and then reapplied more ebonising. Not sure if it helped or not. Will give it a proper go on next bowl, or maybe a jac box. will post results when i get time to have another go.