PDA

View Full Version : Hyco Woodfast cast iron tool rests

jcge
7th January 2016, 09:57 AM
I'm looking for an original 12" (300mm) and 6" (150mm) cast iron toolrest for a Hyco/Woodfast lathe with 3/4" (19mm) shaft.....just seen that Woodfast have discontinued these

I have one of the original fabricated bent steel 12" rests, and its....well... bent (must have been one hell of a catch).

Hope someone can assist

Thanks and regards,
John

clear out
7th January 2016, 11:23 AM
John,
I have sent you a pm regarding the tool rests your after.
H.

jcge
7th January 2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks Henry - greatly appreciated.

Regards
John

artful bodger
7th January 2016, 06:32 PM
I have one of the original fabricated bent steel 12" rests, and its....well... bent (must have been one hell of a catchThanks and regards,
John

Those original fabricated ones sure were rubbish, nothing good about them at all.
Can't say I have ever seen a cast one. Would be interested to see a picture of one. Fabricated some heavy duty ones for my lathe and they work a treat.

NeilS
11th January 2016, 06:07 PM
Can't say I have ever seen a cast one. Would be interested to see a picture of one.

Woodfast still have them with the 1" shafts, here (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8).

jcge
12th January 2016, 08:29 AM
Fabricated some heavy duty ones for my lathe and they work a treat.

Hi artful bodger,

I'd love to see some pics of your fabricated tool rests.

I'll post a pic of the cast ones.

Regards,
John

clear out
12th January 2016, 11:08 AM
Hi John,
I teased your old rest into shape with a 2lb hammer on the anvil and gave it a lick with a bastard file.
Good as!
Thanks for the buffs, just tried one on the 1 1/2 hp grinder,we have a wire wheel on the other spindle.
Not many excuses now for daggy rusty stuff in the shed now.
H.

jcge
13th January 2016, 10:49 AM
That's great Henry, he iron resta are exactly what I was after - thanks !!
Glad you were able to persuade the old rest back into line.
But wait...daggy rusty stuff makes a good shed great !!
John

artful bodger
13th January 2016, 05:43 PM
Hi artful bodger,

I'd love to see some pics of your fabricated tool rests.

I'll post a pic of the cast ones.

Regards,
John

No problem at all John.
First 2 pics are a fabricated one made from 8mm or 5/16 inch thick flat bar. It is 300mm long. You will see that apart from a small radius on the top edge the sides are flat and vertical to the bed of the lathe. I find this type of rest way superior to any like the silly original pressed steel ones that had that bend in them. The flat ones are so much better for roughing down to a perfect cylinder as you can easily use your forefinger as a guide along the back of the rest, not so with a bent one.
Other 2 shots are of a longer one that is held by 2 tool rest holders. It is 750mm long and made from 16mm or 5/8 inch thick bar. A must if you are going to make lots of long things.
Cheers
Brad

jcge
19th January 2016, 08:46 AM
Brad
Thanks for taking the time to post those pics of your fabricated tool rests. Nice wok.
I have made a similar long rest (from 10x50 steel) but the posts are bolted not welded. Works a treat.

Here's a couple of pics of the cast iron ones....300mm and 150mm

Regards,
John

artful bodger
19th January 2016, 05:38 PM
Well they look nice and sturdy. Doubt you will be able to bend those ones.