PDA

View Full Version : The Experiment

Dalboy
9th January 2016, 05:11 AM
Well I have managed to complete a experimental bowl with hopefully has the bubble look.

I believe it is maple and the inner bowl shows some quilting pattern. I have been wanting to get down to playing with different colouring techniques and this is one of them.

The bowl is 7" X 2"

As promised in another post how I did it

The rim is sanded to 600grit and then a sander sealer is applied this helps stop bleeding of the stain, blue stain is applied to this. Once every thing is dry I took an eye dropper and dropped spots of water of different sizes and in a random pattern.
I used car automotive paint in the rattle cans one white and the other black.
Starting with the white and at a very low angle just slightly above horizontal I sprayed a very fine mist over the whole rim, changing to the black and rotating the bowl 180deg and repeat the same process as the white.

DO NOT tilt the bowl at any stage and also don't get too close when spraying the black and white paint otherwise the bubbles will move.

This now need to be left until the water has dried fully and another DO NOT touch anything as you still can smear the paint even though it is dry. Give it two or three light coats of varnish again from a spray can I found Acrylic gloss spray was great, this has now sealed every thing in.

Return the blank to clean up the outer edge from any over spray and turn the inner bowl.

Once all the finishes are applied it hopefully will look like mine and possibly better:U

artme
9th January 2016, 07:12 AM
That is very clever!! I really like the bowl - nice shape set up by that colouring of the rim!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Paul39
10th January 2016, 11:16 AM
Dalboy,

It appears that when the water evaporates the bubbles suck down flat to the timber and the over coat keeps them in place, leaving the illusion of three dimensional bubbles, as opposed to having hollow bubbles still standing.

Is that how it works?

Nice looking effect.

Dalboy
10th January 2016, 12:01 PM
Dalboy,

It appears that when the water evaporates the bubbles suck down flat to the timber and the over coat keeps them in place, leaving the illusion of three dimensional bubbles, as opposed to having hollow bubbles still standing.

Is that how it works?

Nice looking effect.

That is about it as you can see from the side view the rim is completely flat

turnerted
10th January 2016, 03:46 PM
Very interesting effect.It,s great when a new idea works out .
Ted

crowie
10th January 2016, 07:56 PM
Very clever craftsmanship Derek...Cheers, Peter

PS - Well deserved accolades on LumberJocks "Daily Top 3" award........

Treecycle
10th January 2016, 10:36 PM
Very interesting concept and well executed Derek.

Dalboy
10th January 2016, 11:57 PM
Thank you all this certainly was an interesting exercise and even though I say it myself I am pleased with the out come all I need to do now is be able to repeat it again to say it is truly successful.

Keith_1
11th January 2016, 09:14 AM
Derek,

As per normal - absolutely beautiful work from a top skilled craftsman.:2tsup::clap::clap::clap:

Regards

Keith

Christos
13th January 2016, 08:54 PM
That is quite an interesting idea.