PDA

View Full Version : Cubic Centimeter Of Timber Makes ? Cubic Centimeters Of Shavings

Paul39
12th January 2016, 12:17 PM
I roughed out a bowl yesterday and today about 400 mm high X 500 mm wide. I cleaned up 5 plastic grocery bags of shavings and put them in the wood fired boiler.

Has anyone figured a rough ratio of timber to shavings?

BobL
12th January 2016, 02:38 PM
It depends on many factors (tool, wood, size of piece, speed etc).
If you turn large radii curvature curlies they will take up a lot a lot of space.

At the mens shed we ran about a cubic metre of 100 x 50 mm rough cut pine boards through a thicknesser so they were about 95 x 45 mm and made about a cubic metre of sawdust.
That's a wood volume loss of about 15% so we turned 0.15 m^3 of wood into about 1 cubic m of sawdust, so thats about 6.5:1

When I chainsaw mill it's not uncommon to generate more than a cubic metre of sawdust from a 1m diameter x 2.4m long log
The kerf is around 7.5mm so for some 18 x 50mm thick cuts on average about 750 mm wide thats equivalent to about 0.27 m3 of wood of the ~2 m3 of log so that's about a 14% wastage and a 4:1 ratio of wood to sawdust. The bandsaw mill turns about 1/3rd less wood into sawdust and the sawdust is finer so it seems a bit more compact.

turnerted
12th January 2016, 03:07 PM
I've never tried to work it out,but I've found using a bowl saver vastly reduces the volume of wast shavings.
Ted

powderpost
12th January 2016, 09:04 PM
I've never tried to work it out,but I've found using a bowl saver vastly reduces the volume of wast shavings.
Ted
Also allows you to have some timber for future jobs, especially if it is a particularly nice
piece of timber.

Jim