PDA

View Full Version : Squared Plate

Christos
20th January 2016, 09:26 AM
A long time ago(about a year) I found a video demonstration on how to make a square plate on the internet and thought let's give that a go.

After making one I put it with the pile of other items I made and thought nothing more about it. The pile was becoming a little too unmanageable and the wife had some friends over and asked them to take what ever they want. Well one of the items was the square plate. :bgth:

Having some spare time on hand I thought that I would make another one.

369102 369103

As you can see the bowl part of the plate is not very deep and I certainly didn't want to hollow this out again. So I went on a different path and made another one.

The wood that I selected had a hole in it so I put an off cut on the lathe and turned it round to plug the hole.

369105 369107

It is a little bit deeper but I still don't think the bowl part looks quite right.

I am seeking people thoughts as to what I should change or modify to make this look a little bit better.

powderpost
20th January 2016, 11:45 AM
Hi Christos, there is not a lot you can do with the shape, but maybe you could introduce stringing parallel to the edges??? Or even on the edges? I would also recommend gluing temporary pieces on the edges to make a full circle. Cut the temporary pieces off after turning is complete. The turning may not be so threatening???

Jim

wheelinround
20th January 2016, 02:10 PM
Christos generally it looks good like the whole effect and shape :2tsup:

I agree with Jim heaps can be done. Piercing around perimeter comes to mind.

OR

Go ask Mario if you can use his Rose Engine :q

Allan at Wallan
20th January 2016, 03:19 PM
My doctor said I had to begin eating three square meals each day.
With only one square plate I gave that idea away as I was washing
the plate too often.

Sorry Christos, could not resist.

Allan