PDA

View Full Version : Buying a first lathe

sells07
21st January 2016, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

I have done my best to scroll through the forums looking into where and what I should spend my money on. Currently my budget is around $1000. I have been looking at the wl-18 from hafco (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W382) along with some tools etc. I have learnt the lesson before that you get what you pay for so am open minded to price if the difference in quality is significantly higher. Unfortunately no amount of forum reading will give me the knowledge I require to purchase a quality second hand instrument off ebay/gumtree. Im located in brisbane BTW.

My intention is to use the lathe for turning tomahawk and axe handles(less that 1m), making some bowls (when i get better) and potentially things like chess pieces, cups etc.

As for sharpening I should be fine as Ive been a hobby blacksmith and knifemaker for a few years and have a nice 72"belt grinder designed for just that function.

If any of you more experienced members could point me toward either something second hand or have any comments on a machine like the one above I would be extremely grateful.

Hope you all have had a good start to the year!

Chris

Swifty
21st January 2016, 12:16 PM
Hi Chris, my first lathe was exactly this type, it was just fine for learning how to turn spindles and bowls. It's a generic Chinese entry level lathe, nice bed length and the Reeves pulley for adjusting the rpm is neat. I didn't have any mechanical problems with mine, which I used for five years or so. It is a little light, so it does help to bolt it to the floor, which I did.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy turning!
Cheers

sells07
21st January 2016, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply Swifty. I will keep your advice in mind!

rtyuiop
21st January 2016, 02:50 PM
Only minor concern is that it doesn't look like it will turn in reverse? I'm a big fan of reverse on a first lathe, makes sanding far easier - and as a bit of a newbie myself, I can say you will probably be spending much more time sanding than some of the highly skilled folks around here!

I suggest including some budget for a chuck and possibly some extra jaws as well as tools, although those can be bought piecemeal after you are up and running.

Are you set up (or sufficiently skilled to do it freehand) to sharpen gouges? You might need a jig or two.

sells07
21st January 2016, 03:19 PM
Hi rtyuiop,

Thanks for the reply.
Why does revers make it easier? Do you have any other suggestions on a specific lathe I could look at?
I was going to purchase some other parts like a chuck etc as i needed them. As for the sharpening I am definetly set up for the process however will probably build a few jigs to make life a little easier. I have seen a few instructionals online on how to make them and they seem relatively straight forward.

rtyuiop
21st January 2016, 03:40 PM
Generally speaking, it's easier to sand work in reverse because you sand from the top instead of underneath, and it gives better results because (at the risk of over simplifying) the paper can hit any fibres standing up from either direction - if you're hand sanding with the lathe running and only have a forward gear, the paper will always run the same way across the wood.

In terms of new lathes, nothing comes to mind that would be better than the hafco, is long enough for your needs, and is still within budget - but maybe someone else knows of something. The only thing I can suggest is to see if you can find something second hand, but I know that's both a pain, and risky unless you have a very experienced friend around to inspect it! If you do find something second hand you also have a pretty good chance at picking up tools and chucks etc. cheaply, which is very handy.

Damienol
21st January 2016, 08:40 PM
Hi sells07

i took the plunge and purchase the Ayao from Gumtree. I am very happy with it however I have never used a lathe before so have nothing to compare it to.

I have another post on this forum about it

Christos
22nd January 2016, 08:19 AM
I have used this lathe at our wood turning club. It was donated by two of the members where one of them has this in his shed. He normally turns small bowls and pens.

The largest piece he turned was a platter/cake stand and that was done outbound and did require more weight.

If you do not know how far you will take this hobby it is a reasonable entry level into wood turning.