PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc chucks - clockwise to close?

QuarkVI
22nd January 2016, 08:50 PM
Wanted to check do vicmarc chucks close with a clockwise turn of the allen key? My google searching has been to no avail so far...

Just can't get used to my supernova 2 closing with anti-clockwise turn ... love it in every other way but hate having to think before opening or closing and reminding myself to do the opposite of what is intuitive.
The new Record SC4 chucks (which smell like Nova clones) now close on the clockwise turn but Vicmarc is a bit closer to home.

Any advantages to getting the VM120 over the VM100 if not doing big bowls?

cheers
Robin

Big Shed
22nd January 2016, 09:19 PM
Yes, the Vicmarc closes clockwise and it is the reason I changed from Nova to Vicmarc.

Optimark
22nd January 2016, 09:58 PM
The Vicmarc VM100 that I have is excellent and as my Men's Shed runs with the SuperNova2 chuck I can mention one really annoying difference.

The Vicmarc comes with an 8mm T-Bar Allen Key, which is not ball nosed. The SuperNova2 chuck, has a ball nosed Allen keyed T-Bar.

Sometimes at home, I lock my lathe with one of the Allen Key holes in an appropriate position, then I can place the T-Bar in place, position things carefully sometimes using both hands, hold the piece of timber with my right hand, then I just raise my left hand to find the T-Bar and carefully lock the chuck up.

This is impossible to do with the Supernova 2 ball nosed T-Bar, it just falls out.

Apart from that, the anti-clockwise tightening catches me out time and again.

With regard to the VM100 versus the VM120, after some consideration I went with the VM100. The VM120 is, in some instances, good for smallish stuff, but the VM100 certainly goes smaller. The VM120 uses interchangeable jaws with the VM150, but not the VM100 as far as I know.

The VM150 is quite a different animal and I have seen one demonstrated, it also can be used in reverse if the safety ring is used, not sure if any of the other Vicmarc chucks can do that. The VM150 is a huge piece of equipment.

I also like the jaw length on the standard jaws that come with the VM100; from memory, their depth is 12mm.

Mick.

Optimark
22nd January 2016, 10:27 PM
I just went out and threw a Vernier on the chuck, the jaw depth on the standard jaws is 12mm give or take with my tired eyes.

Reading the manual, which is a multi chuck manual. I quote the page on the VM100 and VM120 chucks.

Quote, The VM100's compact size makes it ideal for use on 300mm (12") capacity lathes or smaller, whilst the VM120 will hold most work up to 500mm (20") in diameter with standard jaws. Unquote.

It would seem that if you intend to go big, then the VM120 for now and perhaps the VM150 for when you decide to be a hero and be able to interchange their jaws.

On the VM150 page I'll quote this:

Quote. Jaws and inserts are compatible with the VM120 but the backing jaws have been made larger and stronger to withstand very heavy use. The VM150 is ideal for use on 400mm (16") capacity lathes or larger. Unquote.

Mick.

Optimark
22nd January 2016, 10:51 PM
I was scrolling through my pictures, pun intended, when I came upon this.

This is an example where I find the T-Bar arrangement quite helpful, combined with a locked lathe. I was doing the outside of a bowl and wishing to not stuff up the already sanded and finished exterior around the bowl top. I carefully place the bowl inside the plastic retaining thingies, then slowly close up bit by bit, adjusting the plastic things as and when needed. All the while, continuing to hold the bowl with my left hand and gradually closing the jaws up with, hopefully, no untoward marks.

Mick.

brendan stemp
25th January 2016, 05:40 PM
If buying a Vicmarc chuck second hand you need to be careful because they did put out an ACW series of chucks some years back. They are still around, and I have one of them. I haven't had any problems with it but they (reportedly) are inclined to unwind with the rotation of the lathe.

Big A
25th January 2016, 08:30 PM
I have a Nova and it doesn't matter whether I am in expansion mode or contraction, I will go the wrong way first! I know that it has a directional arrow and I should be able to get it right all the time, but I just don't seem to turn the thinking mode on in time. I should learn, but it does not seem that important to me.

I also have some 3 jaw metal turning chucks and I could not tell you which way the key should go to close them. Same thing there - go the wrong way first, and then get it right.

What, me worry?

Cheers,
Alister.

Mobyturns
26th January 2016, 07:55 AM
... love it in every other way but hate having to think before opening or closing and reminding myself to do the opposite of what is intuitive.

Unfortunately inventors/designers often get around existing patents and registered designs by "changing the problem." From a purely safety stance it would be excellent if there were standardized methods that were intuitive to all. Unfortunately we all don't have "standard" educations & experience, so "intuitive" and "common sense" may mean different things to different people. :wink:

One way to solve your problem - use the chuck more often! :D Then it becomes a more sub-conscious action, learn by repetitive action, - practice, practice, practice.

ps I love observing how left handers adapt to a right handed world, simple things are no longer intuitive if you are left handed - scissors etc.

Big Shed
26th January 2016, 08:10 AM
I have several chucks for my metal lathe, which I use almost as much as my wood lathe, and had both a Nova G3 and a Vicmarc 120 chuck.
The G3 was the only one out of step with all the other chucks no matter how often I used it, so I sold it and got a Vicmarc 100.
The other thing I didn't like about the G3 was the key to operate it, fiddly to locate properly compared to the hex key on the Vicmarc 120 and 100.

Overall the quality of workmanship of the Vicmarc, both chucks and jaws, was a real step up from the Nova G3 the jaws that came with it had some very large burrs left on it and were eventually replaced.

Found the same quality difference when I was shopping around for a live centre set, Sorby quality way above the Nova.

Old Croc
26th January 2016, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Big Shed;1926294]I have several chucks for my metal lathe, which I use almost as much as my wood lathe, (QUOTE]
Fred, i am in the same boat except i made the mistake of buying a 2nd 120 and guess what, it is the reverse of the 1st one. Drives me crazy when i swap chucks all the time. Might be time to sell the lot and get all new ones that are identical.
Paul might get me a big discount at Asheville Hardware later in the year.
Rgds,
Crocy.

hughie
26th January 2016, 08:47 PM
I have too many SN2 to change over . But when I first discovered this a few years back. I was not very complimentary towards the designer of the Nova chucks. In fact I was down right profane about his/her ancestry and his/her likely short future.

NeilS
1st February 2016, 10:54 PM
Having many Novas and Vicmarcs I reduced the confusion by engraving IN --> as appropriate on each. It helps, to the extent I can be helped... :-

I have found them all to be good chucks* and there is no way I would let any of them go over anything as minor as their key direction.

* never had a G3, so comment doesn't apply to it.